S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
One Piece At A Time
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here is the deal...

My S-10 has had a bit of a top-end rattle since 185,000mi. Today, at 192,823mi, I think I threw a rod. I was driving down the highway, and heard this loud noise. Kinda like somebody sticking a piece of pipe into a really big high-powered metal fan. I then noticed alot of light grey smoke pouring out of the tailpipe. As soon as I got pulled over, the motor just stopped.

I looked, and the oil was slightly low, but not even off of the scale... When I pulled the oil cap off, I saw alot of smoke flow out...

I put a quart of oil in, and got it to run. It was still very loud, and ran very poorly. I managed to limp 5 miles home this way. In the time, I swear I could still hear the valves rattling...

I knew this day would come, and had checked around for another motor.

It just so happens that a friend at school, who has a 1989 Pontiac Grand-Am, flipped his car over on its top last year. He says its a 4-popper, so I know it is a 2.5L.

Can I raid the 2.5L out of my friend's car? Its 9:07pm where Im at, and I plan to ask him about his car tomarrow at school... Atleast one definite response would be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance. You would be doing me such a big favor by giving me this small morsel of info...

·
One Piece At A Time
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, hes going to let me have it for $100.00. Will it fit?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't see why not but you may have to relocate your starter (check to see what side it's on) Depending on the year of your truck you might want to swap the intake mainfold so all of your vacuum lines/fuel lines will work. Obviously anything is possible, you just may need to put a little more work into the swap. 100 bucks sounds good it should be worth the effort. (don't listen to the "drop a v-8 in that bich"guys....they don't have to buy the gas for it)

·
One Piece At A Time
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, one old guy I talked to at the salvage yard said the holes for the motor mounts doesnt even exist! But he said he would gladly sell me another motor from a "89"(bullshit) with low mileage.

Yeah, I dont doubt the low mileage part, but I know that its in an S-10 with no hood and no TBI just to give ya an idea...

I know GM, and I dobt they would not change the block! Hell, there is holes on the side of my block where something used to mount on older models.

Old ****er thinks that just because Im still in high school that Im stupid.:dunce:

·
One Piece At A Time
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

Stay away from the oddball FWD only VIN U motor, too many parts are different compared to all other 2.5 motors. It was used only in FWD N-cars, Grand Am, Calais, etc. Crank thrust bearing and cylinder head bolt pattern are a few (see below). The VIN R (Fiero included) motors were used in both larger FWD cars (X and A body cars) and RWD applications with no special mods
Exactly the info I needed!! ;)

So, Astro Van, S-10, S-15, S-10 Blazer, and Fiero's have the same 2.5.

All I really need is a good block, crankshaft, rods, pistons, camshaft, head, and valvetrain.

Too bad the Grand Am 2.5 wont work. Only $100 and low mileage too...

·
One Piece At A Time
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright... Ive had it...

No more friggin compromises! I need a reliable daily driver that can also tow my Nissan Patrol to and from distant trails, and lets face it. The 2.5L just wont do it, and I fear I might burn up my 700R4 if I try.

While 4-wheelin in my Patrol, I stumbled across the answer. Pics of the answer to follow in a couple of days! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts