S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my truck has been giving me 1 problem after another for the past couple of months [pretty much ever since we got it up and running] Ive replaced most of the sensors and a bunch of other stuff

The current probelm that it has is that it will begin to jerk/hesitate/buck when accerating past 1500rpms sometimes 2000rpms

The computer has been through hell too and ive done the 30 minute reset, and i know its kind of a shot in the dark but what is the easiest way to replace/ refurbish the ECU?

I know i could search the junkyards for 1 but im sure its a PITA

·
Sometimes I'm mean...alot
1,348 Posts
The #1 thing you need to do is....Tell us what year truck you have!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha my bad but, im basically asking what is the best/cheapest/ easiest way to refurbish/buy another ecu but if it helps its a '97 about 127,000 miles, 5 speed

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
it is very slim unlikely chance that its the ECM but any parts store or dealer will have one.

a good used one would be fine too

but im sure it will be a fuel delivery issue or ignition issue

jerking hesitating bucking when trying to drive is almost always bad ignition component, uusally a bad spark wire arcing outside of the insulation at the spark plug into the exhaust manifold, or something similar.

fire it up when its dark out and look for arcs around wire ends, especially when you rev it up and hold rpm speed

good luck

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is very slim unlikely chance that its the ECM but any parts store or dealer will have one.

a good used one would be fine too

but im sure it will be a fuel delivery issue or ignition issue

jerking hesitating bucking when trying to drive is almost always bad ignition component, uusally a bad spark wire arcing outside of the insulation at the spark plug into the exhaust manifold, or something similar.

fire it up when its dark out and look for arcs around wire ends, especially when you rev it up and hold rpm speed

good luck

Yea i think im gonna need some luck, well when the truck was running lean like crazy we replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and before that we replace the distributor, distibutor cap, spark plug wires, and spark plugs but anyways...

So the ecu is the main computer or the "little black box" right?

I thought that they where hard to find since the numbers on it have to match prefect?

·
General L33
1,950 Posts
I'm with everyone above.. Is the truck throwing any codes? have you scanned it to see if anything is stored? can you give a detailed description of what"been through hell" means?

did it just start doing this out of the blue or did something happen for it to acting like this? Have you checked fuel pressure? I know you replaced a lot of stuff, but something could be bad. The cheapest way out of a problem is troubleshooting and finding the answer instead of swapping a lot of parts hoping it will fix something. Could be something as simple as a loose wire.. I've been there and done that..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure about the codes everytime i try to scan it the cigarette lighter fuse is out , but will the truck throw a code if the computer is out?

basically we bought a hacked truck and fixed it little by little i was young dumb

The truck had a short and we would constantly disconnect the battery whenever we needed to turn it on and we bought a dash with a wiring harness cuz the original dash was cracked and we put the new dash with the wiring harness instead of the original wiring harness, the truck would **** to 3000 and stay there we took it to a shop and told us that we neede the original wiring hardnesss, also the battery has died like 5 times,

I will try to scan it again to see if anything comes up

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure about the codes everytime i try to scan it the cigarette lighter fuse is out , but will the truck throw a code if the computer is out?

basically we bought a hacked truck and fixed it little by little i was young dumb

The truck had a short and we would constantly disconnect the battery whenever we needed to turn it on and we bought a dash with a wiring harness cuz the original dash was cracked and we put the new dash with the wiring harness instead of the original wiring harness, the truck would **** to 3000 and stay there we took it to a shop and told us that we neede the original wiring hardnesss, also the battery has died like 5 times,

I will try to scan it again to see if anything comes up
And yea it jus started jerking out of the blue, the ses light will occasionaly turn on then off

and i will also give everything a look to see if anything is out of place

1 - 8 of 8 Posts