S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Sonoma with a mild 350 and turbo 400. The previous owner installed a larger radiator but it doesnt cool the motor. It measures 27×18 and is a single core. Need to know what is working for you. Anyone running an aftermarket aluminum unit.

·
Been there Done it
7,886 Posts
A stock 1996 4.3 S10 rad will cool a mild 350 w/o any problems provided you put a pair of good shrouded fans on it and a good controller. Another option is a Cavalier rad from the 90's. They cool a V8 quite well.
Making sure that all the air hitting the front of the truck has to go through the rad (no openings) and that all the air coming thru has to exit thru the fans is more critical than the rad size.
No need to go to aftermarket. IMHO most are over priced. :oops:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 96 Sonoma with a mild 350 and turbo 400. The previous owner installed a larger radiator but it doesnt cool the motor. It measures 27×18 and is a single core. Need to know what is working for you. Anyone running an aftermarket aluminum unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have any idea what vehicle my radiator might have come from. Core is 27x18. Tanks are 2.5in. Inlet is driver side and out let is passenger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm using a 85 Corvette radiator,with a Jegs low profile 14" electric fan. The truck is a 93 S15 , I cut the core support . The radiator now sits snuggly between frame rails and is flush inside the support . Seems to work well but I have not driven in summer yet . Just took it for it's first around the block not quite two weeks ago .

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you use all the air deflector on your s10 it really helps are you running a fan and shroud use a 5 blade racing fan not aluminum i have 350 425 horse 4l60 runs 180 all day i do have electrict fan on front just in case never used it

·
Administrator
22,664 Posts
if you use all the air deflector on your s10 it really helps are you running a fan and shroud use a 5 blade racing fan not aluminum i have 350 425 horse 4l60 runs 180 all day i do have electrict fan on front just in case never used it
Punctuation is a must to figure out what your saying...please use it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 87 s10 blazer with a built 383 stroker and a built stage 3 700R4 in it with just a stock s10 4.3 radiator with intrepid fans and it stays nice and cool, I know you’re asking if any of us are using a aftermarket just figure id spread the love on a this stock cooling setup since it works great👍

That combo works really great and keeps my water temp between 160-180 max on a 100 degree day, yes I also have my fans wired where I control when to use them but, the fans and radiator really keep everything nice and cool 😎

Also I’m running a B&M supercooler to keep peace at mind about keeping the 700r4 cool which it really does, i bypassed the radiator and I’m using just the cooler for the trans and my temps aren’t getting above 180 degrees which is in the safe zone. I’m sure it would stay nice and cool if I had my lines going into the radiator I just personally like external coolers so I went that route

I don’t know if I’m allowed since I’m still really new in the forum world here, but if you’d like I can post links to where I got my radiator, fans and trans cooler if you’d like?

Hope this helps friend🙂

·
Been there Done it
7,886 Posts
Hey iRedEye, how about starting a new thread in the Member Rides section with some pics of your Blazer. Sounds cool. We all love pics. Big pics.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As mentioned above I also use the 4.3 radiator but mine is a drag truck. I'm north of 600 HP but haven't had a problem even on 90 deg days going rounds. I have 2 - 12 in fans
that I only use for cool downs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts