S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
I am looking for the same thing, your TBI 4.3 is tough for the turbo--- find a speed shop that is willing... I found a place that for a mere $5000 they will put a twin turbo in mine and tune it--- there is way too much conversion needed to the '91 engines for it to be a simple bolt on turbo system... as far as S/C goes, whipple used to make one, it was discontinued, but again, there might be a speed shop in your town that has some s/c sources--- there is one here, but they won't even consider putting the s/c on the '91 till it gets rebuilt... so go in there and ask what needs to be done before they'll put a s/c on it, don't go in there and say 'i want a s/c' like i did a few months ago, they'll tell you pretty much that they have it but they won't order it or put it on till you get the engine rebuilt........... I hear turbo is much better though, just gotta replace pretty much everything in the engine--- you can get all the components for about 2 or 3 grand if you wanted to do it yourself....

·
I am to slow!!!!
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is not what i wanted to here. I went down to the shops here and they all said there was now way to put a turbo on my truck. So is there anyway i can get a kit from someone on the net. I have all the beafed up parts internally, (it is built for a 200 shot of nos) and i will put that on, but i want something for a daily driver so NOS just doesn't quite do it. I just need something i can get to do it myself. I was wondering if a second gen kit would work if i changed my intake? any other opinions are needed.

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
Write sonoma4x4 a message, he's got a 1st gen turbo kit that his friend made up-- comes with an intercooler, he e-mailed me to see if I was interested, which I was for a sec then found out my engine would probably just explode--- that's good that you've got yours rebuilt, if I was you i'd look into the kit that sonoma has, he wants $1000 and it's pretty much bolt on from what i hear... I haven't been able to get back to him recently though, his mailbox has been full..

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
Hey you guys. Wipple makes a S/C for your tbi motors.

·
I am to slow!!!!
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the NOS kit but like i said i need the power all the time. Last time i checked you will go through a lot of engines running NOS all the time. LOL either way i have been looking and for some reason no one is willing to part with their syclone turbo kit. Well thanx anywayz guys. I am hoping to be getting this turbo on and then it is the NOS. I should be able to eat up the ricers!!!

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
You should be able to eat the ricers now!!! :) Whipple discontinued the 4.3 s/c last time I checked---- And the syclone turbos are so old now they wouldn't work as well as something new (obviously)-- That's what I hear-- I know someone who has a syclone, and he just rebuilt the turbo-- Much faster, much better looking.
Like I said, if you want it done right with new programming and you want it to last-- get it done professionally with all-new parts....!!

·
I am to slow!!!!
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I plan on doing it right. I already have all new parts internally but i reallly need some place that i can get hold of the turbo or s/c. Does anyone out there no where there might be a s/c for sale? If there is i am willing to pay good money. I am still wanting a turbo. Is GM still planning on making the syclone kit again? If so is it going to be for the 1st gens or is it going to be new school? Oh yeah one more thing completely off the wall, will the vortec heads fit on my 1st gen 4.3 or are the bolt pattern different?? well thanx for all the responses.

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
I just read somewhere that you can buy a whipple s/c for a TBI 350 and put it on the 4.3 with very little modding... Other than that I haven't found any superchargers for the 1st gen 4.3's..
I'm pretty sure there is a different pattern for the vortec heads, just read it a little while ago on this forum somewhere...
I sent an e-mail to GM, i got the "We're too good for you" response I can expect from their customer service department-- They said that they regretted to inform me that they do not sell the turbo kit for the Sys and Tys, since there was 'more included in the syclone and typhoon packages than just the turbo' and it was 'more complicated that just bolting on'...... So it's not that great//

·
life begins @ 20 psi
674 Posts
The turbocharger setup that came on the syclone and typhoon was never offered as a kit. A "bolt on" turbocharger is a oxymoron IMO. You will have to lower your compression ratio, use forged rods, use premium fuel, fabricate intercooler plumbing if you plan to run high boost, get a different ECM to handle the addition parameters etc, etc, etc... In short, it's A LOT of work! I think you would be better off with a supercharger provided you can find a vendor that makes one for your application. Or just buy a sy or ty that already has all of the mentioned parts.

Mike

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
SY2932 said:
The turbocharger setup that came on the syclone and typhoon was never offered as a kit. A "bolt on" turbocharger is a oxymoron IMO. You will have to lower your compression ratio, use forged rods, use premium fuel, fabricate intercooler plumbing if you plan to run high boost, get a different ECM to handle the addition parameters etc, etc, etc... In short, it's A LOT of work! I think you would be better off with a supercharger provided you can find a vendor that makes one for your application. Or just buy a sy or ty that already has all of the mentioned parts.

Mike

*clap clap* uhm, yep! :thumbup:

·
life begins @ 20 psi
674 Posts
Hey S10V6X, sounds like you have a sweet truck :thumbup: ! Please post your times when you make it to the strip. Always interesting to see how much HP peeps get with their mods... I hope to get into the 12's before this year is out with race gas and 20 pounds of boost.

Mike

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
Thanks for the complement.. You've got the truck I wish I could have afforded originally.. :thumbup: Yeah keep me posted on how your 12 second goal goes... I found out yesterday the track opens up May 12th, I should be out there opening day barring any unforseen problems, and hopefully I'll have some of my 'Upcoming' a little higher up on the list by the time the 12th rolls around.. 4 paychecks away, that's how I'm looking at it.. :D I'll post timeslips as soon as I get them, still keep in mind I've never raced 1/4 mile on a track, it's not like I'm going to post times that are consistent with potential right away... :shrug:

·
life begins @ 20 psi
674 Posts
Track newbie huh? Last year was the first time that I had been to a track...ever. Kinda funny, never been to a track before and the first time I go, I'm making runs down the 1320 :D . The most important thing to remember is to run your own race. Your reaction time has NO effect on you et-go when you're good and ready. When I went, all my syty buddies got together and we rented the track for 4 hours. There was 5 syclones and 5 typhoons in all. It sure made things less stressful going to the track for the first time running against buds instead of strangers.

Pretty funny, there was a mustang club that had rented the track before us and they were still there when we arrived. Even though their time was up, the guy running the track announced over the PA that they could stick around and run against us for fun unless we objected. We told them they could hang around and run us if they wanted to. One of the stang guys was even running his lightning that he used to trailer his cobra to the track... However, after they saw that only one of us was running slower than they all were, they left :thumbdown . What a bunch of party poopers!

Mike

·
I am to slow!!!!
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SY2932, you may be able to answer this. Is the 4.3 in a syclone bolt to a 91 s-10 4wd tranny? BTW, great job on kicking some mustang A$$. I always like to hear of that. All i can do is beat the V-6ers right now but soon it will be more than that. Anywayz have fun at the track. I will be hitting the track May 5 and will post some times for everyone.

·
life begins @ 20 psi
674 Posts
Nope syclones and typhoons both have TH700-R4 4 speed automatics, the same tranny that is used in the corvette. However, syty's eat them alive as transmission rebuilds are VERY regular in a syty unless you get one with beefed up internals...

Yep owning a "sleeper" is A LOT of fun :D ! Nothing like the looks of disbelief you get when you annihilate people in a 11 year old pick up truck! Not very much action for me around home though. Seems that everyone with a "fast" vehicle knows what it is and don't want to play :( . Get more action from young ricers that were prolly still in diapers when the truck came out.

BTW, I hope that you didn't get the idea that I was busting your chops about trying to get a turbocharger for your truck. With the amount of labor that is involved in putting one on a NA vehicle, it can hardly be considered a "bolt on" modification. Just giving you a heads up as to how complex it is. However if you have the time and $ to do it, go for it!

Mike

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
SY2932; Thanks for the track tips, I appreciate it... :) We'll have to see what my truck turns in, a couple of friends and I are heading down there opening day, or so goes the plan.. I'd run against them but they're both sitting with a V8 under the hood, and I know I couldn't keep up after 1/8th mile. Good to hear about the mustangs too :D The turbo is kind of the ultimate for my truck, right now I'm going to finish up adding the MSD and replacing most of the internals, plus a ton of edelbrock stuff... Then we'll see about the turbo. It's awesome having a sleeper :D

91S104WD; Keep me posted on how your truck does, what kind of mods have you done and what are you working on.??? 5 speed or auto..?

I know I'll probably get the big :bs: for mentioning this, but there was a new Audi S4 two weekends ago.. Still had the dealer plates on it, stick shift, the guy was trying to show off to his girl. By some twist of fate we end up next to each other at the light, my bro said to go, I said we didn't have a chance- they're AWD turbos-- he was like, nah, he probably doesn't know how to drive it anyway..... So I rev on the off-chance that he doesn't know how to drive, (otherwise i'm dead), the light turns green, he launches pretty well, we launch ahead of him, and beat him to 45 (speed limit.. cops everywhere) so I back off... he pulls up next to us, waves "2" and sits for a sec, then shoots off in 2nd gear, I guess he wanted us to compare gears or something.... Oh well it was fun to see the look on his face :D

·
I am to slow!!!!
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
S10V6X: i am currently running a 4.3 v6 with ported and polished heads, forged pistons, manley rods, new cam (not sure which one), roller rockers, beefer valve springs, headers, and dynamax exhaust. I think that is about it, and it is all going through the 5 speed. Either way i am planning on bolting on a hundred shot of NOS, but i wanted to either get a turbo or s/c. Oh yeah and i betrayed chevy and put a dodge 8 3/4 rearend, with 3.93 posi. Well hopefully the weather is nice and i can get some times. I am still hoping for some sort of all time power boost open for suggestions. BTW the poweraid spacer doesn't do a whole lot. If you get rid of it you actually get better MPG, at least that was the case for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts