S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have to replace my tires in the next month or so, any suggestions for/against any brand? I live in PA, so I have to contend with moderate snow, and I will be doing a lot of trail /unimproved roads. Also if anyone can tell me the best size on a '94 Blazer stock everything. Thanks.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i think stock its P235/75 R15 right? just dont get pirelli's (spelling). I got Remington tires for $45 less a tire than BFG or ProComp Mud Terrains, and they look nicer, and they work great

·
Registered
107 Posts
Never heard anyone say anything bad about the BFG All Terrain T/A KO or the Bridgestone Dueler AT 693 -- check em both out on tirerack.com.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the biggest size I can go with stock susp. height? I've heard 30X9.5X15, but I want to be sure before I order them. I think I am going with Bridgestones.

·
I Hate IFS
49 Posts
If you want a better ride than you had before, stick with the same stock size and just get a larger back-spacing wheel. Stick with all terrains so that they don't push your luck when it comes to a little tire lovin on your frame or a-arms

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree-- putting a wheel on that pushes the wheel further outboard ont he vehicle isn't going to affect the ride quality.

I installed lifting shackles on my blazer last night, and cranked up the torsions a little bit. happened to have a 31 x 10.50x15 on a stock 4x4 steel rim sitting around so I mounted it on the truck just to see how little clearance there is --- it's tight. a 30 x 9.50 would fit better, or a 235/75/15 (29.1 inch height). I think the 31 would only rub the frame under full lock, but if you compressed the suspension any while turning it would have gotten into the body.

Here's how the 31 fit front and rear with just 1.5 inch of lift....there's less room than it looks like in these pics--esp in the front.

·
I Hate IFS
49 Posts
Think about the Pontiac Grand Prix commercial... Wider is better. If your tires stick out more (but not too much) then you're going to have less road sway and a wider stance. It's common sense, give it a try.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is a difference between handling and ride quality.

Also just making the wheels sit farther out doesn't mean it's going to handle better. There's plenty of physics behind it, but the easiest example is that if GM wanted to make the tires stick out further on a 4x4 to handle better, they wouldn't have made the ZR2's front suspension and rear axle completely different to get a 3 inch wider stance -- they would have just spec'ed wider wheels.

You go to a radically different backspacing on the wheel and stick it waaay out there, you're going to be putting more stress and leverage on your balljoints and front end components. Shouldnbt affect the rear end all that much though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
30-11.5 15 Swamper SX tires. Stock wheels, stock suspension, (1.5" add-a-leaf in rear for the weight I carry in it). Here is a pic. Clears fine. Rubs slightly at full lock on the sway bar. Does NOT contact the body, and I have fully flexed this vehicle....

Now granted, this is a '94. So I am unsure about the new style. I would imagine they would fit with some slight modifications and some wrench time on the adjuster bolts....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts