S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Get Low, Get Low!
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been looking and looking and can't find much for my 2.8 V6. For instance, they don't havce a CAI for it. I've found some TB spacers, but I've been told they don't do much. So, I'm thinking turbo now. But, of course, they don't make one for the 2.8. Or do they? I was wondering if anyone here had a turbo'd 2.8 or knows where to buy a turbo for one. I've done a bunch of googling, but no luck. I even resorted to using yahoo and aj for searching. If they don't make one, what would you guys suggest besides a V8. That's already out of the question according to my dad. I read the tut on here to make a CAI, would that work for my 2.8? I know it won't be the fastest out there, but I'd like to give it more power than it has right now.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sure you can turbo it but no one makes a kit. You can buy a blower 614 streets may have one left for sale. They are bolt on but you have to take care of computer tuning.

I would suggest a 3.4L swap. it is the cheepest way to make the truck really fun to drive.

·
musical engine builder
2,024 Posts
well no one makes turbo kits for these motors. you'll have to fab it yourself. i know of a online place that sells header flanges but you'll have to fab up one header to mount a turbo. to get some pep out of a 2.8L. i'd do a cam swap,ignition upgrade, roller rockers, 4.3L or 5.7L throttle body, and free flowing exhaust. or as betterthanyou said a 3.4L would be more effective for the bucks. and all the mods i listed above will work on a 3.4L.

here's a few links to check out.
http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/60degreeV6/?
http://users.specdata.com/home/emxjc/index.html

there is also a guy called "the raven"(that's his screen name) that comes around time to time. he has a turbo charged 3.2L(3.1L bored .030 over). if you want more help on a turbo setup he's the man to ask.

·
Get Low, Get Low!
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Get Low, Get Low!
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I flipped the airfilter lid over this morning. Oh my god! It sounds soo much better, IN the low RPMs, it sounds just the same, but you hit the gas and that thing comes to life! It also gave me more power than i thought it would. I'm thinking of cutting the wall out of the bottom section and putting a bigger airfilter in to fill the gap up. What do you guys think? I'm hoping i can stop by a junk yard tomorrow to see if I can find the TB out of a 4.3 and put that in when I get home.

I also raced a Mazda M3 today. of course, I lost, but I kept up pretty good with her (yes, it was a girl. And a hot one too :D ) and started catching up in the end. I also ended up showing off to a Avalanche that pulle dup beside me. He took of when the light turned green and so did I, not really racing. We both got caught at the enxt light and I reved it up as high as I could. He likes the sound of it compared to the V8 in his Avalanche.

·
musical engine builder
2,024 Posts
well if it's a pick-your-part junk yard(you go find it remove it yourself). look around you might find a truck or car with a 350 in it that someone slapped a 14" chrome air cleaner on it. just a thought.

·
Get Low, Get Low!
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1988S10 said:
well if it's a pick-your-part junk yard(you go find it remove it yourself). look around you might find a truck or car with a 350 in it that someone slapped a 14" chrome air cleaner on it. just a thought.

I'm going to go through every Chevy vehicle in there to se what they've got motor wise and what I can use on mine. Then, simply pick out the best looking parts :D. It would be nice to find a 350 in there, I may be able to grab some stuff from it. Their may even be a S-10 with one in it! Fi so, I'm bringing the whole truck home :p

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,149 Posts
im pretty sure 614 sold his other one ebay!!

·
musical engine builder
2,024 Posts
go junk yard hunting. you'll be amazed what places are out there. 30mins for me is a massive yard full of stuff from the 50's to the late 90's. and best of all it's a pick your part! ask some buddies maybe one knows of a good place.

·
Get Low, Get Low!
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1988S10 said:
go junk yard hunting. you'll be amazed what places are out there. 30mins for me is a massive yard full of stuff from the 50's to the late 90's. and best of all it's a pick your part! ask some buddies maybe one knows of a good place.
There's only one junk-yard near me that's pick-your-part. The others, you walk in and ask if they have this, you don't get to look around like I love to do. Sure, it may be abit easier, but you may miss out on a chrome intake that would fit that you weren't looking for but would like to have. I'm going out of town tomorrow, so I'll be checking up there for parts.

·
The Blaze of a Blazer
106 Posts
RadRacer said:
I flipped the airfilter lid over this morning. Oh my god! It sounds soo much better, IN the low RPMs, it sounds just the same, but you hit the gas and that thing comes to life!
What do you mean "flipped the airfilter lid over"? can you provide a photo of it?

·
The Blaze of a Blazer
106 Posts
Never mind. I found out for myself. Your right, the truck has more noise, but I'll need to put a flowmaster on my Blazer if I want it to sound even better

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,149 Posts
RadRacer said:
There's only one junk-yard near me that's pick-your-part. The others, you walk in and ask if they have this, you don't get to look around like I love to do. Sure, it may be abit easier, but you may miss out on a chrome intake that would fit that you weren't looking for but would like to have. I'm going out of town tomorrow, so I'll be checking up there for parts.
at home we had a bunch of pick ur parts but there was one HUGE one that was they pull, i found out if u ask them enough questions and for a certain kinda vehicle, pretty much keep perstering them, they will print u out a little map and tell u how to find it and let u have a hay day LOL me and a buddy spent about 4 hours in the yard just looking at shit and what not..............................I can be VERY annoying when i want to :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts