S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to the forum and lifting trucks. I have a 2001 chevy s10 2wd 4.3L that is bone stock other than wheels. I do a lot of light farm work with this truck and would like it sit a little higher when going down a turn road or out in the field to work on equipment so thats why I'm thinking of lifting it and would like some input. I was thinking about getting a Fabtech 3.5 spindle lift and a 2" body lift or a 2" rough country suspension lift and a 2" body lift. Also I want to be able to run 30x9.50 or 31x10.50 mud terrians probably BFG's, Firestones, or Goodyear's. I currently have american racing wheels and I believe the offset is -6mm not sure. Will my current wheels work with these tires? On Fabtech's website it says OEM wheels will not work with oversized tires. Also how hard is it to put the spindles on? (keep in my mind this is my first time doing this) If my wheels won't work does anyone know where I can get a good cheap set of used one's? Anyone's input, answers, or other lift ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
newtolifting

·
3 Leaf Fab
4,082 Posts
On Fabtech's website it says OEM wheels will not work with oversized tires.
fabtech doesnt know squat. the only thing that "doesnt work" about stock rims is they might rub the frame or the fender (the tire that is). honestly the tire does not care what rim its on, as long as its within a certain margin for width compatibility (which they are for the tire size you said). stock rims just have a larger BS than most after market rims and they tend to rub the frame and swaybar with larger tires. after market rims with less BS will make it rub the frame less, but usually make it rub the fender more. im speaking from experience with a 4wd truck but the principles should be the same for the 2wd too.

32x10.5's on stock 4x rims, no lift (89 blazer)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. My truck is a stock version of the picture local12hand posted in the thread "need pics about liftspindle". I saw he used his stock wheels and I would like to use my stock wheels again. I was wondering how he did his truck with stock wheels ( if he used wheel spacers or anything?) or if he has any rubbing issues. I would kind of like to set my truck up like that one. Also will any of the suspension components or u joints wear quicker than normal with the setup I talked about above. Again thanks for knowledge and any more input or suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

·
Who needs 4x4
789 Posts
I have a fabtech 3 inch lift springs and upper contorl arms for sale. This would be better than the rough country and its a inch more.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Im running 2 in wheel spacers and i have a little rub but it would be easy to trim im just lazy...Also im using a long travel kit...If your trying to keep on a budget you might want to look at something a little lower than mine cause it gets pricey...Bajacustoms.com has badass kits and look at dezertdimes.com its a more 2wd friendly site

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks do you have two inch spacers on the front and back (I know its proabably a stupid question)? Also have you had any front end componet problems like ball joints? I'm leaning more towards the fabtech lift and body lift with 30x9.50's do you think it will goofy with just 30x9.50's on it? Local12hand that is a sweet looking truck hopefully mine will look half that good when I get the money and around to doing it. Thanks again to everyone who has posted.

·
3 Leaf Fab
4,082 Posts
Thanks do you have two inch spacers on the front and back (I know its proabably a stupid question)? Also have you had any front end componet problems like ball joints? I'm leaning more towards the fabtech lift and body lift with 30x9.50's do you think it will goofy with just 30x9.50's on it? Local12hand that is a sweet looking truck hopefully mine will look half that good when I get the money and around to doing it. Thanks again to everyone who has posted.
on a 2wd, if you wanted to run spacers on the rear, it might be worth noting that the 4wd axles are 4" wider, or 2" per side. if you needed to regear or something, it might be worth it trying to just use a 4wd axle and save your self from running spacers on the rear.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yeah thats a good point...Im running spacers only on the front to get my tire away from my upper arm where it mounts to the spindle it was really close so i didn't want it to rub my sidewall...But on the rear i just got a 4wd rear axle with a g80 to start out with but i broke it and now i have an open rear 4wd axle cause of the width like Don said...But it is just for looks you dont need to have it any wider in the rear for any reason...I got an aim LT kit and welded uniballs to the upper arms so i haven't had any issues with ball joints...If i were you i would look into getting uppers with uniballs and delrin bushings if you are only going short arm...Bajacustoms has short arm kits i believe, they have uniballs and good delrin bushings...If you go this route you wont have the ball joint issues like with other short arm kits...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks does anyone have any experience with rough country 2" lift. I have heard the rear add a leaf makes the truck ride rough. Also does anyone know of a good brand and where on the internet to get the 2" wheel spacers for the front.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I got mine from Trail Sport Unlimited for $70.52 shipped...Their number is 909.825.2818...Mine are 2"

·
3 Leaf Fab
4,082 Posts
Thanks does anyone have any experience with rough country 2" lift. I have heard the rear add a leaf makes the truck ride rough. Also does anyone know of a good brand and where on the internet to get the 2" wheel spacers for the front.
aal's will always give a stiffer ride. its because what they do is add to the spring rate, so if it was say (more or less random numbers off the top of my head) 400 lbs then it might be 450 lbs with the aal. this isnt always a bad thing, it may be useful for more weight capacity or other reasons. it is my opinion though, that if your only goal is more height in order to fit larger tires and therefore perform better off road, i think the aal is a poor choice. the reason i feel this way is because the make the ride stiffer, and therefore subtract from articulation, which has a great effect on overall traction and forward movement in certain off road situations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much of a spacer will I need to run 30x9.50's. Will I need 1 inch or 2 inches? Also do to budgeting I thinking about the rough country 2" suspension and 2" PA Body lift. Does anyone forsee a problem with this setup? Thanks again to all who have helped.

·
3 Leaf Fab
4,082 Posts
How much of a spacer will I need to run 30x9.50's. Will I need 1 inch or 2 inches? Also do to budgeting I thinking about the rough country 2" suspension and 2" PA Body lift. Does anyone forsee a problem with this setup? Thanks again to all who have helped.
is there a rough country 2" lift for 2wd's? i thought it was just 4wd's but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On rough country's website under 2wd chevy/gmc suspension lift they have a 83-01 2wd s10/s15, blazer jimmy 2" suspension for around 300 dollars they also sell it in J C Whitney w/out shocks for some where around 150 to 200 dollars I think. It only includes 2" coil lift springs, 4 RC Hydro shocks, nd rear add a leafs. But their 4wd kit comes with front upper control arms,new ball joints with a redesigned mounting position, torsion bar ajuster keys, bushings, shocks, rear shackles and harware. On the 2wd kit will the springs put the ball joints in an angle that will cause them to wear or will it keep them in an alright angle? Thanks for all the help this is probably my last question for a while. I hope to do all the work this spring or summer and may post pics if I ever get done and have time in the off season.

·
Registered
523 Posts
if it is only springs i would get some 5664 moog springs, Bilstien shocks,add-a-leaf, power performance ball joints (mount them under the upper arm), while you have it apart you might get some new bushings for your upper and lower c-arms...If you got the lift spindles you could probably scratch the add-a-leaf and flip your rear...But this is my opinion, and sooner than later you will want these parts after you put those springs in and i cant imagine those shocks are any good that come in the RC lift...You can order the shocks and springs from autozone unless you can find somewhere else that has them cheaper

·
3 Leaf Fab
4,082 Posts
On rough country's website under 2wd chevy/gmc suspension lift they have a 83-01 2wd s10/s15, blazer jimmy 2" suspension for around 300 dollars they also sell it in J C Whitney w/out shocks for some where around 150 to 200 dollars I think. It only includes 2" coil lift springs, 4 RC Hydro shocks, nd rear add a leafs. But their 4wd kit comes with front upper control arms,new ball joints with a redesigned mounting position, torsion bar ajuster keys, bushings, shocks, rear shackles and harware. On the 2wd kit will the springs put the ball joints in an angle that will cause them to wear or will it keep them in an alright angle? Thanks for all the help this is probably my last question for a while. I hope to do all the work this spring or summer and may post pics if I ever get done and have time in the off season.
ok, i didnt know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1999 4wd s10 I've always had Silverado (still have them) but I got this s10 cheap.....I thought the bolt pattern 5x4.75......mine is 5x4.50......is this right?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,326 Posts
This thread is 12 years old and moldy. Start your own thread in the Wheels/Ties/Brakes forum.

Closed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.