S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for a disassembly procedure on a NV1500 Transmission. Mine locked up while I was driving, and I have it out, but I have no clue on how to disassemble it, to rebuild it. I have done automatic transmissions, but have never done a standard, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That second one is great to show how it goes together. Now I need to find torque specs.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
I assume the NV1500 is similar to the NV3500 found behind the 4.3's, if so you need a special jig to disassemble/reassemble properly.

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wrong. The NV3500 uses a jig, the NV1500, is just bearing installers and hand tools. As long as everything is installed flat and flush, everything will work. I have built many automatics in the past, and they always have to have a jig, to do it properly.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
i'll see what I can find, I use to have complete access to repiar info, but I don't have that right now. i'll see if I have anything else though.

·
Likes MOAR Low
1,609 Posts
SlammedSonoma96, have you found a disassembly document yet, and or have you rebuilt that NV1500 yet? If so, any pointers to give out? I'm thinking of doing this very soon myself since I'm removing mine for a rear main seal change. Any info or help would be great, thanks.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
I have access to my old database again, it has all of the repair info and what not about the transmission. Just let me know what year vehicle and I'll save it all.

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I got it all apart. First, you have to remove the front bearing cover inside the bellhousing. There is a small snap ring behind it. After that is removed, you need to remove the shifter detent plug, on the side of the trans housing, below the vent. Next, unbolt the 2 halves, and pull apart. The rest of the bolts on the rear half of the trans holds all the gears, and shafts in place.

·
Likes MOAR Low
1,609 Posts
deathphoenix99: my truck is a 2002

SlammedSonoma96: Thanks man, are their any special tools i will need for this job other than the "bearing installers?" And what kind of "bearing installers are you talking about exactly? I am kinda new to tearing down a tranny, but am very competent and think I could do it with the correct tools and knowledge. This truck is not my DD either so i have time to have it apart if it ends up taking a while.

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I rechecked everything, and no special tools are needed. When I said bearing installers, I worded it wrong. I meant seal installers, but you dont even need those according to my instructions. It is a fairly simple job.

·
Likes MOAR Low
1,609 Posts
deathphoenix99, thanks for the email

SlammedSonoma96 cool, thanx. did u do a full rebuild, or what all did you have to replace?

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I tore it down, the only thing that was bad was a pocket bearing. So I replaced that, inspected everything, and re-sealed it. Nothing wrong with it now.

·
Likes MOAR Low
1,609 Posts
cool, do you have a document or instructions on how to repair inside the gearbox? The doc i got from deathphoenix doesn't have that....if you can help me out that'd be great, thanx

1 - 20 of 72 Posts