S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am kinda new to this, I am trying to attach an amp and sub to the orriginal cassette delco crap system, I have looked at the wiring colors posted on this website

I have attached the orange wire to the 12volt power of my amp
I have attached the yellow wire to the remote/ignition of my amp
finally the black wire to the ground of my amp

so, far I have no power going to the amp

can anyone tell me why????

also, My amp has speaker wire inputs, so I will splice the rear speakers to the amp

by the way I have an s10 1998

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

·
I'm cool.
1,120 Posts
Your constant 12v for the amp needs to wired straight to the battery with an inline fuse. Probably use an 8 guage wire if its a decent size amp. Ground your amp somewhere within the amp as close as possible, 8 gauge wire also. The remote wire goes to your headunit, but I'm not sure which wire. Normally you would run Rca cables from your amp to the headunit, but since yours is stock i'm guessing there isn't any rca preamp outputs. Theres something you can buy that you gotta wire into the headunit to get this to work, unless i'm wrong, maybe there is a way to wire it straight into the headunit. gimme a minute, i'll look to see if i can find it.

*edit* I can't find that thing I'm talking about, maybe someone else can help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I acually tried to wire the 12V directly to the + battery, but did not get any power on the amp, maybe my amp requires me to have the line in connected before the power will turn on, i dont know.

i just find it weird that im using the proper wires which currently work on my head unit, but yet they dont work on my amp

·
Low in Alaska
3,849 Posts
power and ground must be the same size. so, run power from battery and then ground to a good ground point. Then, in order for the amp to come on, you must hook the remote wire to it(from the head unit), and power everything up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts