S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody wired up a V8 to a S10? I am almost done with my s10 v8 conversion. I can turn a bolt but wiring kicks my @$$!! I am trying to use the old wiring harness in my '83 S10 on the V8. The V8 still has the wiring harness from the '86 camaro on it. The distributor and the Carb are for a '76 C10 so it is all vacuum advanced. What can I rip out from the camaro harness and what should I keep? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
hey supersmurf,

You have a 305 out of an 86 camaro? Do you still have the injection on it, or did you put a carb on it? If it has a carb, you can smurf the wiring harness on it real smurfy.:D :D :rolleyes: :headbang:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smurf?

The camaro came with a carb. It was electronically advanced. I went with a really smurfy carb from a 76 C10 along with the smurfy distributor (HEI). My problem is what runs to what. I labeled everything but it all faded away while I was away training. Does the Battery run directly to the starter and then to the coil? and what wires connect the key to the engine (meaning to start this truck).

Any help would be smurferific!!!!!

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
Real Smurfy fix!

You should have one going to the starter from the battery. You should have a smaller wire from the key switch to the fuse box to the starter. You should have another 12 volt switched going to the coil in the cap of the HEI. There should be specific spots on the fuse box in the truck, like crank, or something like that, for the starter, and you should also have a few empty spots you can put a fuse in and run to the coil. You do have coil in cap right? That should be the smurfiest way to get it going.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
I just got done doing the same thing...I can't remember right off hand. but you will have three wires going to your starter...one is a bigger pinkish wire that comes out of your fuse block on the drivers side. another one will be red and it comes right off of the firewall block. and off of that block another wire will go to the altenator. Then you will have the battery cable. the red wire and batter cable go together on the starter and the pink one goes to the small peg. its pretty simple just make sure that you get power to both of the small red wires and you should be good to go...for the coil wire, I used the existing coil wire from my 2.8l. and it I sodered in the brown fuel pump wire to the coil wire..it works great. I hope that I helped you out.

Jason!

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
oh man, you need to say something pertaining to smurfy this or that will be smurfy whrn you talkin to a smurf

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the peg a part of? Is it on the starter or the coil? I have a HEI distributor so if the peg is the coil I'll just splice the wire and attach it to the exisiting coil wire for the HEI (its also a smurfy hue of pink). If its not and its on the starter how do I get the power to the coil? should Ijust wire it to the battery terminal on the starter? or the switch terminal? I labeled all the wires when I pulled the 2.8 out lastsummer but all the labels faded. SMURF!!! thanks for help

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
The peg I think hes talkin about is on the starter solenoid. Its smaller than the one for your batt cable. There should be a wire that hooks to the coil that is switched power. Meaning comes on when the switch is on. Just get out your test light and test the light with the key off. Then turn the key on and test it again. If it lights up, crimp a female spade connector on it and plug it in to the terminal on your HEI. If you look close at your HEI cap, it should say BATT i think. Ill go look on my Impala. The other one to your starter should come off of your key switch. If you look at the wires, test light them to see which one lights up when you turn the key all the way forward. Maybe have a bud help ya out on that one. Should be some wires that look like theyll reach the starter from your old wiring.

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
ok my bad. It has one T. Smurf it!! BAT. should be 12v switched. Keep me updated.

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
supersmurf-10 said:
What is the peg a part of? Is it on the starter or the coil? I have a HEI distributor so if the peg is the coil I'll just splice the wire and attach it to the exisiting coil wire for the HEI (its also a smurfy hue of pink). If its not and its on the starter how do I get the power to the coil? should Ijust wire it to the battery terminal on the starter? or the switch terminal? I labeled all the wires when I pulled the 2.8 out lastsummer but all the labels faded. SMURF!!! thanks for help
you need to use the red wire from your existing coil...it has a plug on the end of it a with a white wire...cut the plug off and use a female connector and plug that into the positive side of the coil...

if you don't know what wire that is...then you just need a hot wire that turns on and off with the truck for the coil...

and the pink wire goes to the small peg on the starter

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Smurf IT!!! Need a new battery the old one is comp;etely discharged so I have to go get another one. Will try tommorow. Just got finished all the other odds and ends. I'll keep you posted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts