S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright heres the deal. i had this older pioneer deck in my 85, and i have a newer kenwood im putting in. seems simple right? well the problem is, is that i cant get any power to the deck. what im curious to know, is if anyone knows what color wires are supposed to be ignition and main power? like, the colors that are in my truck are:

black: ground, obviously
yellow
orange
and another black. (i know the first one is ground because its grounded like right in front where i can see it)
the orange wire runs to my fuse box, and is connected where my horn (i dunno why) fuse...it looks to be something wired for the pioneer deck. the yellow wire actually has a red wire spliced into it, so im guessing that whoever did it is saying that its main power. if anybody has some input on this it would be GREATLY appreciated!!

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
yellow/red splice sounds like the safety power line.

dunno man, thats a risky situation you're in :eek:

i suggest either tracing that yellow/red all the way through your dash and see if it goes to the power fuse dist. box or having a local shop deal with the hassle, hahaha. *apologizes to those on the board who work at audio shops that get hack jobs*

Also you could try getting a power tester... looks like a flathead screwdriver with a bulb inside and a ground cable with a clip on the end.... clip the ground cable to a solid ground and turn the ignition on and push the lead to the yellow/red cable. if the light comes on, then tada you found your power cable.

my 2 cents... good luck man

·
Registered
107 Posts
Kalgor is right....

Get you a power tester and see what wire is ignition and which wire is your constant hot. That would be your best bet.

Cory

·
SIC-Founder & WA Ch. Head
1,687 Posts
ok...heres the deal. The yellow coming off of the deck should be for constant 12v, the red is for switched 12v (ignition). The wire you've got spliced into the horn fuse is being used as a constant 12v because they didn't have one there originally. Your stock am/fm analog deck didn't need a memory, therefore no constant power. You can use that same lead if you want, or splice into the Red wire in your ignition switch harness (runs along the steering column) for a constant 12. If you don't feel like cutting into your stock harness, you can go down to the auto parts store and pick up an "add a fuse". It's a little black fuse holder with space for 2 fuses on top and a red wire coming out of it...should run you about 6 bucks. It just plugs into the fuse socket and gives you bot the fuse for whatever accessory your tapping into, and a fused lead for your deck. Whatever your old deck was using for a switched 12v should be fine. I don't remember the color off the top of my head, but I think it's either orange or pink ( i could be wrong, though...haven't pulled my deck out in a year or so) like the other guys said, get a test lite...see which wire turns on and off with the switch. Any more questions, justl let us know...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i checked it out, andmy little red/yellow wire doesnt have any power to it. although there is that little fuse that is in series with it, right before it goes intot he deck, in that little round plastic thing (i hope you guys know what i mean) and it was blown. the only thing is, is that my radio was working fine when i took it out..so did i cross some wires i shouldnt have when i was f'in with this?? my fuses in my fuse box were ok, also..

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
maybe....

did you replace the inline fuse and try it? see if it gets power first, then if so turn it all off and try the radio again...

·
Redneck Off-Road
1,047 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA, you had a hack job done on your truck too? I ripped out everything yesterday after my radio quit working all together. It was a pioneer too. I didn't take my time to figure out what all the wiring was for:bah:. Didn't care. Now I'm starting over front scratch.

·
Redneck Off-Road
1,047 Posts
And btw, every single wire that had anything to do with the radio had a in line fuse holder. Even the damn speaker wires. I've never seen soo much home speaker wire used to power 2 dash speakers. I uncoiled both of them and there was 12 ft going to the left speaker, and 10 ft going to the right:eek:. All my fuses blew, and the head unit started smoking, so I got that pos outta there quick. When they installed it, they used alligator clips to attach everything:bash:, and one slipped off and touched bare metal somewhere and blew every fuse, but thankgod it only blew the ones dealing with the stereo or I woulda been hella pissed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
lucky for you I install at circuit city. The yellow and orange wires u describe are on, or should be if not cut, on a single plug by themselves. The orange is ur constant and the yellow is ur switched. It may be vice versa, kinda weird when its not in front of me, but if so all u gotta do is switch them around.

I know this for a fact and if if doesnt work either check ur fuses or run 2 lines to the ignition harness.

In Gm cars red is usually the constant and pink is the ignition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts