S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I need help and have searched the forums but cant find any direct answers for my situation. Ok so first off I'm building a off road tracked vehicle and I've bought a 2002 sonoma with the 4.3 for my engine. So it will crank over start for 2 seconds and shut off (passkey yes I know) but I have swapped out my ignition for a aftermarket one I have everything wired up to the ignition (including fuel pump so it bypass the relays) and it cranks overs starts and dies. The original key from factory didnt come with the truck when I bought it they were replaced with a walmart key or something. So I'm not sure how to check for resistance in the key. Also the 3 wires that go to the passkey sensor, mine are red/white - 12v ref
Orange/black- low ref
Yellow- signal
Are now not hooked up to anything and I'm wondering if I do manage to find the resistor value which wires do i splice them into and what about the 3rd remaining wire where would I run that too. Been building this project for a while now and would love for it to run any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Avalanche. 2001 V6 Extended Cab ZQ8.
1,345 Posts
There is no resistor in the key. If you have removed the factory lock and tumbler, then you are going to have to have your PCM reprogrammed for non passlock operation.

Also bypassing the relay for the fuel pump is a bad idea. First off is the current draw needed. A relay can much better handle the current flow than that of an ignition switch. Also safety is next on the list. Without the relay in place and powered by the PCM, if something were to happen and the truck became damaged or disabled, but the ignition switch left on, and thus fuel pumping, this could quickly become a bad day for everyone. I recommend returning that wiring to normal operation, and as you see it's not working to bypass the passlock any way.

·
time to get cereal
5,098 Posts
Passlock disables the injectors, not the fuel pump.

·
Been there Done it
11,264 Posts
I would think since you are building an off road tank type vehicle that you would want eliminate the BCM and the associated Passlock issue. Find a 96-97 wiring diagram and copy it. Or better yet upgrade to an 0411 and use a 97 PCM swap wiring diagram.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think since you are building an off road tank type vehicle that you would want eliminate the BCM and the associated Passlock issue. Find a 96-97 wiring diagram and copy it. Or better yet upgrade to an 0411 and use a 97 PCM swap wiring diagram.
[/QUOTE]
I dont mind having to use the bcm I really just want the engine to run at this point without having to spend to much money I'll eventually upgrade it once its operating. If I can trick the bcm to send the proper info to the pcm to allow it to start and run I'll be happy. I think flashing the pcm is gonna cost like 200 dollars so if I can avoid that it would be great. By changing it to 96-97 wiring you mean just the pinouts for the pcm? And what is an 0411?

·
Registered
2004 Avalanche. 2001 V6 Extended Cab ZQ8.
1,345 Posts
And what is an 0411?
An 0411 is the last 4 digits of the part number of one of the more versatile PCMs that were available in these trucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty slim picking around here where I live for old Sonoma's or s10's if I cant get this engine running I'll soon just swap out the engine for something else hopefully something without security more simple to wire up.

·
time to get cereal
5,098 Posts
You have a 0411 already. Some of our members suffer from brain damage though, it's not their fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol so I have the most forgiving pcm is what you're saying? Either way I think I may have to get it flashed I'm stumped now what to do I tried to relearn the pcm today didnt work still no go 👎

·
time to get cereal
5,098 Posts
Yea, if you want to delete passlock, you'll have to reflash the PCM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Full time bypass, locate the 3 passlock wires org-blk
red-wht
yellow coming from key cylinder. Turn on key to ign. Leave red-wht wire as is, take multi meter to ohms. splice org-blk wire, connect negative of multi meter to org-blk. cut yellow wire and splice end (ONLY vehicle side wire!!) and connect positive of multimeter to that wire (remember not key side wire). Measure in ohms and match a resister(s) to equal that number. Connect yellow (vehicle side) to that resister and other end of resister to org-blk wire. test first, start vehicle then solder ends, security light should be off if you matched the resistance correctly, don't forget to tape it up. Key side yellow wire not needed. tape end and tie up with rest of harness.

·
Been there Done it
11,264 Posts
Since it's an 02 with the 0411 PCM why not just go into the program with HPT and turn off Passlock? Guys do it all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the pcm sent away now to get flashed. Found someone close by that can do it for a good price. I'm not a very techie person I wouldnt be able to program it myself. Plus their going to delete the evap for me, change the axle ratio and mess around with the rpms for shifting or whatever so it will be geared better for torque.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the pcm sent away now to get flashed. Found someone close by that can do it for a good price. I'm not a very techie person I wouldnt be able to program it myself. Plus their going to delete the evap for me, change the axle ratio and mess around with the rpms for shifting or whatever so it will be geared better for torque.
What is this costing you?

·
Been there Done it
11,264 Posts
Contact them and tell them to delete the Vats while they're in there. It'll take them 2 minutes.

Reactions: David4767

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The price is $150 Cad and yes that was the whole point of why I sent it away to get flashed was to get the vats deleted....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts