S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I bought this s10 a week ago. and been trying to workout all of the "bugs". starting with the cts, my dash temp gauge wasnt working. The guy before me put an aftermarket gauge in but I know that won't work because the ecm doesn't see the sensor. So it causes the engine to flood out and hard to start. So I bought a new sensor and put it in ,then bought a new connector, and still no gauge and its still throwing the sensor code. Ive tested continuity from sensor to ecm and all is good. Then tested continuity at cluster to sensor and had multiple wires reading continuity. Also changed the cluster still same issue is the problem in my ecm?.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,616 Posts
You need to edit your post and use punctuation. It’s not optional.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The CTS for the computer is in the left cylinder head.

The temp gauge sensor is in the intake manifold or t-stat housing.

Thanks
Randy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a 98. it only has the one 2 wire sensor in the ds head. The gauge doesn't work and the sensor is throwing cel like it doesn't see it.

·
time to get cereal
4,542 Posts
Well, you posted in the first gen forums, and never told us which engine you have. Guessing it's the 4.3L if you are talking about a driver's side head...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry first time to the forum. I usually never post in forums but this issue is unique i feel. Its a 98 with the 4.3 sir.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,616 Posts
Well, you posted in the first gen forums, and never told us which engine you have. Guessing it's the 4.3L if you are talking about a driver's side head...
It’s half way in the thread title. I moved it.

·
Been there Done it
10,458 Posts
I bought a new sensor and put it in ,then bought a new connector, and still no gauge and its still throwing the sensor code. Ive tested continuity from sensor to ecm and all is good.
If you have continuity from the yellow wire at the sensor to pin 23 on the C2 red connector and on the black wire to pin 4 on C3 white connector. The wiring diagram also shows a ECT ground in the PCM from C3 -19 to Splice pack 422 on the left frame rail behind the transmission crossmember. Seems like a long way to go for a simple PCM ground. It's a shared ground with the gas gauge. Just test it at the pin to be sure it's grounded. If all those are OK, the wiring is OK.
Test the new ECT sensor with an ohm meter. The thermistor chart shows what the resistance should be:

If that also tests correctly then it's the PCM.
The gauge is Class 2 serial data and if everything else is working it will too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I probably should of said I'm not all that smart with the electronics on vehicles lol. But could you explain in lamens term. Now that you said the fuel gauge and the sensor are on the same ground. The fuel gauge doesn't work either. So how do I test that ground?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also not sure if related. but the gear indicator on the gauge works when the key is one click forward. as soon as I turn the vehicle on I lose the little light telling me what gear I am in. I appreciate your help man! Yesterday I had no clue of even a direction to look.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,616 Posts
You should look for all of the grounds and clean them. Check the wires near the connector for any signs of bulging. There may be corrosion under the insulation.

·
Been there Done it
10,458 Posts
First thing you need to do is go to harbor freight and buy a $5 multi meter. You can use it to measure resistance an check continuity.
I just checked and I guess they aren't on sale, so it'll cost you $7. A few years ago they were free with any purchase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Comeon man thats harsh I'm a maintenance tech by trade not a dummy. I gotta fluke meter. You said somthing about a pack 422 on the frame by the trans. idk what a pack 422 is there a wire diagram showing this ground that I can see so I have somthing to reference.

·
Been there Done it
10,458 Posts
A splice pack is just a place where a number of wires come together. I'm sure if you look on the drivers side, inside of the frame just past the transmission cross member you'll see a couple black wires connected together and bolted to the frame.
Wasn't meant to be harsh. I based my reply on the info you gave:
Ok so I probably should of said I'm not all that smart with the electronics on vehicles lol.
We have guys on here every week that don't know why one battery cable is red and the other black.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'd also suggest listing out all the issues you have. 1st you talked about the temp gauge not working, then the fuel gauge, then the gear indicator.
All those things work together, and is very helpful in virtual diagnosis of your trucks issues.
if i call a hospital and say I'm not feeling good, they'll tell me to drink water, and take some aspirin. but if i text the doctor a picture of me with my arm missing and bleeding out, that water and aspirin aint guna do sh*t.. got to include all the info

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I understand and Thanks for the help oldeerslayer. I'll check back in if I figure the issue out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts