S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, i'm semi new to the forum and i'm ready to learn a lot :)

I own a 1986 GMC S-15. Under the hood is a 92 2.4L V6 out of a S-10. The truck is lowered right now, i believe its lowered 5" in the front and 7" in the back.

I want to put it on air for a few reasons..

First- I have a 1000 pound audio system, that is going to get heavier.. the ride quality really sucks with the system so i am wanting it on air to help the quality.

Second- It's a show truck and I want too add a little more show too it.

I am looking for a few things out of getting my truck bagged. I would love for it too lay frame AND have full/close to full turning radius with 22" rims on LOW pros.. but i will settle with my current rims - I have 20" Lexanis on the truck now, i removed the sway bar for more turning radius.. but it still isn't as good as i want. I do not know my tire size off hand, but i have about 4-5 inches of tire from the rim.

My budget is anywhere from 3-5 grand.. I have never went to a shop and talked about pricing. It is possible for my budget to be increased if necessary.

What i would like to hear back from you guys is :)
Any suggestions or changes i should make that will make my task easier to achieve.
What would be needed to be done to accomplish my goal.
How much it will cost (example "3-4k") because i will be going to a shop.
Any shops you recommend in Arizona or Cali. (I live in AZ)
What brands i should and should not go with.
How to tell if a shop is good or bad.

Here are some pictures of my truck so you can reference off of.

Thanks for any and all input on helping me make my dream truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What's ur system consist of? You don't hbave a blowthrough so I was wonderin how it weight 1000 lbs..lol
(1) 8 cubic ft enclosure w/ plexi glass windows, triple baffle, kerfed port, etc
(2) 15" AA SMDs
(4) 7" AA Carbon Fiber Mids
(1) SAX-100.4
(4) XS Power D3100s
(2) SAZ-3500ds
(1) 320amp DC Alt
Couple hundred ft of 0awg wire

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
(1) 8 cubic ft enclosure w/ plexi glass windows, triple baffle, kerfed port, etc
(2) 15" AA SMDs
(4) 7" AA Carbon Fiber Mids
(1) SAX-100.4
(4) XS Power D3100s
(2) SAZ-3500ds
(1) 320amp DC Alt
Couple hundred ft of 0awg wire
Also,
10 layers of Second Skin SPL Tiles on the roof
(40) Showdown Sound Deadener CLD Tiles throughout the rest of the cab.
All stinger wire
Alpine iDA-X305S Head Unit

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
cool color. it doesnt look like its 5/7 but maybe its the 20's throwing it off. idk. i would say you will be spending $3,500 and up to bag this truck. set-up depends on what you want, i personally would recommend you pick the bag parts you want and then take it to someone who can install said parts. You have probably already searched but if you havent stay away from AIM i only know of one guy on the forum who has had good luck with them. I would recommend you look into suicidedoors air ride products. Its very popular on this forum and they are as tried and true as it gets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool color. it doesnt look like its 5/7 but maybe its the 20's throwing it off. idk. i would say you will be spending $3,500 and up to bag this truck. set-up depends on what you want, i personally would recommend you pick the bag parts you want and then take it to someone who can install said parts. You have probably already searched but if you havent stay away from AIM i only know of one guy on the forum who has had good luck with them. I would recommend you look into suicidedoors air ride products. Its very popular on this forum and they are as tried and true as it gets.
Thanks for the reply.
What parts/brands would you recommend?
I want the the best or close to the best parts for my truck.
Also would they have to cut my frame to make me have full turning radius?
Any other information on what the installer would have to do to my truck for achieving my goals would be VERY APPRECIATED! I want to know what needs to be done before i go to a shop and they list 100 things that don't need to be and and just try to screw me over.

Thanks,
Dom.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Dom, if you want good quality go with www.suicidedoors.com theirs also Air ride technology(ART) KP makes a decent 6 link set-up but the frame needs to be boxed in. Ive heard people who have tweeked the rear frame. A new rear set-up came out not too long ago its a nice set-up by LRD. Im sure if one of the forum members is around here he will recommend a fab guy to do the work your wanting done. Like said before i would buy the parts needed/wanted and have someone put it on for you. i know a fab guy in dallas that will fab me up a pretty sick backhalf and all i need is to keep my sd 3 link to keep costs down.

*dont drool tooo much* :cool: PICS!

SD upper and lower control arms(note: you will need a upper bag cup with these. If you use stock arms you will need both upper and lower bag cups, but im assuming you want the best along with show quality looks) These arms have a powder coating option. pick the one you fancy. these arms also have a shock option as well as a sway bar option if you want them added to the arm.

SD cantilever set-up

SD 5 link backhalf bolt on

SD 5 link(my favorite bolt on simple and effective!)

LRD 6-link(if memory serves me right its missing dog bones which can be different sizes depending on what your wanting to lay i think it can lay a 20 or 22inch rim in the rear)

KP 6-link

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Dom, if you want good quality go with www.suicidedoors.com theirs also Air ride technology(ART) KP makes a decent 6 link set-up but the frame needs to be boxed in. Ive heard people who have tweeked the rear frame. A new rear set-up came out not too long ago its a nice set-up by LRD. Im sure if one of the forum members is around here he will recommend a fab guy to do the work your wanting done. Like said before i would buy the parts needed/wanted and have someone put it on for you. i know a fab guy in dallas that will fab me up a pretty sick backhalf and all i need is to keep my sd 3 link to keep costs down.

*dont drool tooo much* :cool: PICS!

SD upper and lower control arms(note: you will need a upper bag cup with these. If you use stock arms you will need both upper and lower bag cups, but im assuming you want the best along with show quality looks) These arms have a powder coating option. pick the one you fancy. these arms also have a shock option as well as a sway bar option if you want them added to the arm.

SD cantilever set-up

SD 5 link backhalf bolt on

SD 5 link(my favorite bolt on simple and effective!)

LRD 6-link(if memory serves me right its missing dog bones which can be different sizes depending on what your wanting to lay i think it can lay a 20 or 22inch rim in the rear)
I do hope someone chimes in and recommends a good fab guy/shop for me to go to!!

I'm currently lurking around in Suicidedoors.com and looking at the different set-ups. I have some more questions. I really appreciate you helping me out and teaching me! I don't have any other way of learning besides this forum.

Are the Bolt On kits a cheap route to go? I'd imagine buying the pieces separate would be a better way to end up with a better system, am i wrong? or does it not matter because the pieces in the bolt on kit are good enough for most applications?

The pictures look great! but, sadly :( i don't know what any of those do/are/mean.. the only thing(s) i know are: C Notch, Air Bags, Compressors, Air Lines, Switch Box.. (fail)

What's the difference between 4 link, 5 link, 6 link?
What do Control Arms do?
What's a Cantilever Set-Up?

I was thinking about having a Engine Driven Compressor, so i wouldn't have to wait to refill my tank. What's your thoughts on them?

I don't want to spend 12 grand, but i have no problem spending money on getting the best parts. This is going to be a daily driver, so i don't want to skimp out on sections and not having the best ride quality i can have, you know?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
There are two types of set-ups. a bag over the axle set-up and a bag on bar set-up. people love the bag on bar because it seems to have better ride quality. I personally have my set-up behind and under the axle with a sd 3 link. its hard to explain the links i just go by point of contact with the links that how i know. if you search through the forums im sure it can help you out more, or someone can chime in here and explain better than i can. some 4 links are great, but if you go with a 4 link some kits require that you move the gas tank. other kits have solved that problem keeping the stock tank where its at. control arms like the sd arms help with laying on a decent tire/rim combo they also use Power Performance ball joints atleast thats what i got with my upper control arm. it helps with laying out and the ball joints last longer as well. the sd arms can lay frame on a 22 inch rim there are alot of folks here that run these arms with 22's with no problems IIRC. and on the canti set-up its a really cool set-up you have to see it in action. And good call on engine driven compressor they are great and they fill fast. i would suggest atleast one compressor though for a back up incase something happens. i myself have 2 viair 480s on a 8 gallon tank and i have good play time with it. and it fills plenty fast for me.

check out this thread, as well there is a video of the canti set-up in action
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f207/part-2-spy-pics-sds-new-canti-back-half-99-3-bolt-on-404270/

bag over the axle-its exactly how it sounds the bag is placed ontop of the axle with axle brackets and a nice bridge kit

and a bag on bar set up has the bags placed on the bars. it provides a greater lift(refer to the sd 5 link, the KP 6 link and the LRD 6 link)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are two types of set-ups. a bag over the axle set-up and a bag on bar set-up. people love the bag on bar because it seems to have better ride quality. I personally have my set-up behind and under the axle with a sd 3 link. its hard to explain the links i just go by point of contact with the links that how i know. if you search through the forums im sure it can help you out more, or someone can chime in here and explain better than i can. some 4 links are great, but if you go with a 4 link some kits require that you move the gas tank. other kits have solved that problem keeping the stock tank where its at. control arms like the sd arms help with laying on a decent tire/rim combo they also use Power Performance ball joints atleast thats what i got with my upper control arm. it helps with laying out and the ball joints last longer as well. the sd arms can lay frame on a 22 inch rim there are alot of folks here that run these arms with 22's with no problems IIRC. and on the canti set-up its a really cool set-up you have to see it in action. And good call on engine driven compressor they are great and they fill fast. i would suggest atleast one compressor though for a back up incase something happens. i myself have 2 viair 480s on a 8 gallon tank and i have good play time with it. and it fills plenty fast for me.

check out this thread, as well there is a video of the canti set-up in action
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f207/part-2-spy-pics-sds-new-canti-back-half-99-3-bolt-on-404270/

bag over the axle-its exactly how it sounds the bag is placed ontop of the axle with axle brackets and a nice bridge kit

and a bag on bar set up has the bags placed on the bars. it provides a greater lift(refer to the sd 5 link, the KP 6 link and the LRD 6 link)
The bag on bar set-up is what i'll do sense it seems to have better ride quality.. like i mentioned before, my ride is bad/annoying right now.. i bottom out at every bump, if i turn to fast whichever front tire rubs against the wheel well, stopping is horrrriibbllle but thats because of all the weight (upgrading brakes very soon) but its not so bad that

I've been starting to look at build logs and trying to grasp a better concept on bagging. I just went over this one and it seemed really simple. Its also a kit you posted a picture of, the SD 5 link backhalf bolt on. http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f125/my-93-dime-project-aka-the-cookie-cutter-417447/index8.html

What will i have to change (besides cutting frame) to get full turning radius and still keep my current rims/tires?

How does the SD 5 link backhalf bolt on set-up compare to the canti complete backhalf set-up for performance and reliability? Will both do what i'm asking for?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
you can keep your current rims/tires. hell for the front you can get off cheap and just do bag cups and bags and dehump the lowers, but it will be some work to lay frame. some aftermarket control arms will help make it easier. you will need to have the front tubbed for the 20's and you gotta worry about the tie rods hitting the frame. you can sink the shocks into the frame ive seen people do this, search for shock set-ups on here for the front supension it should give you a better idea of how to run front shocks/sway bar if you still want it. you wont sacrafice turning radius with shocks/sway bar If i remember right. for the rear the sd backhalf 5 link is a great set-up they both get great lift. i think the new canti kit gets a good 14 inches of lift in the rear. and it can hit some mad sides. but so can the 5 link. you will need to make the decision on which one to go with. the canti will have you cut out most of the bed to fit it, but ive seen people cut their beds in the shape of the canti kit which i think is neat. but its time consuming. another plus that i like is the fact that bag over the axle and bag on bar can still tow if you would like to keep a decent load truck to haul things with. but alot of guys on here use their trucks as show trucks/daily drivers.

link to sink your shocks
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f125/sink-your-shocks-pics-388112/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Checked out the link, good info :)

So with the SD 5 link i won't have to chop my bed up as bad? That's kind of nice, even though it would look pretty sweet with the bed cut to shape with the canti.. but i assume a shop would charge a lot for that?

So if i'd get the SD 5 link for the rear, what else would i need to get?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If you buy the total bolt on 5 link backhalf kit which includes the frame rails you will need to put on its a whole package.(if you get just the 5 link kit you will get the set-up plus the bags) everything included. bags, option to powder coat it. you will still need air compressor/engine driven compressor, air line, fittings, gauges, air tank. for the front you will need your choice of aftermarket control arms/bags/fittings/airline/upper bag cup. or you can do an entry level set-up which is bags/upper, and lower bag cups, airline, fittings

1 - 13 of 13 Posts