S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Toyota Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought new keys that i want to install. I know that theres a torsion bar unloader tool that im supposed to use for this, but i can't find anyone that rents them out. I've heard just to jack the front up and it should take the load off the t-bars and remove the keys by just unscrewing the bolt. Is this true? and/or safe?

·
Slap my meat on your pita
8,100 Posts
yeah you can do it that way to unload the bars, but i dont recall how the keys come out so ill just stop talkin :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
yeah you can do that, but i dont remember either... sorry, i did one, and i have a memory of hearing "clunk" and it sliding off, my friend did the other

·
Toyota Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright thats good news i think i can figure out how to get the key off. i just didnt wanna get smacked if the torsion bar unloaded on me and lose some teeth or somethin that would suck

·
'96 Sonoma 4x4,4.3
62 Posts
I just took mine out and it would be a lot easier with an unloader tool, but I used a 2-legged bearing puller to get the nut out then let the key down the rest of the way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know if that is a very good idea. I did mine with the right tool and it still scared me. If you do it make sure things aren't going to go flying around when the bolt does come out. I'm not sure the keeper will let you do it anyway?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts