S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the S-10. Not new to off-roading. I have a stock 2004 S-10. Have done the cosmetic. Played for years with a 1986 Ranger Super Cab. Lifted double shocks, etc. Glamis and hard pack in Calif.

Finding the lug pattern a problem on the S-10. Am doing a 2" leveling lift on the truck. Rear will be adding a leaf under axle, front, what they call a leveling kit.
(Have I said this already)?

I found heavy duty shackles from a Sonoma for them to use instead of the goof ones sent by factory, which I just saw. Am learning, and female, so not doing the work myself............yikes.

They are trying to put on 31's. My Ranger had 33's and was pretty tall. Love this little 4 door truck. BUT, I don't see this size tire giving me any clearance. I will be fine IF I do no rock crawling. Heaven's tell me I am wrong.

I did not trust the off-road place I have access to. They wanted to sell me a body lift only! AND, could not stand the choice of rims I had.

What the heck do I do? Can I put a body lift on with the 2" leveling kit and have these tires fit? The truck has gone from looking "girlie", to really nice! BUT, where am I wasting money? Help. My gut is freaking out here.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I'm confused as to what they are calling a "leveling kit". I suspect it is a set of lift torsion keys or possibly even just cranking the stock torsion bars, both of which are hard on front end components.

2" lift will not clear 31s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is what they are doing. When I purchased the truck, I found
cranking the stock torsion bars
had already been done as far as possible.

They ordered a set of 245/65/17's now. I am wondering if that means I will lose needed side wall?

I like the rims. But this will mean going to an off-brand tire using the size above.
My goal is height and looks. I can't help but want it to look good.

How safe does this set up sound until I can finish paying for a suspension lift?
I have been told a 4" suspension lift will handle the 31's and not change the gear ratio. Is that true? Am looking at Trail Master brand. Also have been told switching over the torsion keys would work fine with the 4" lift.

Am going to be calling Big O in a minute. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts