S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to build a fiberglassed box.... and is this possible?

Can I use 3/4" Foam to make the shape of the box and fiberglass the whole box? Or do I need to use wood... cause I wanted to make it perfectly fit in my application and have rounded/smooth edges and such.

Thanx!

·
Lets try this again...
652 Posts
From what i understand about fiberglassing im pretty sure you can just sand the fiberglass until you have a perfectly smooth and rounded edge. If not use some BONDO body filler on the edges and sand that to a rounded and smooth edge. Hope this helps a little as ive only done a couple of trys fiberglassing.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Pick up the November SportTruck is shows you better than anyone could explain it.

·
Picture goes here \/
673 Posts
if youre using faom as a mold yes you can, just the mix might be hot and the foam might do alitlte melting

·
Registered
37 Posts
go to www.subthump.com and chech out the fiberglass boxes-email and ask if one can be made for the S-10

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about this because I saw a guy on DYI Shipship Boating make a fiberglass radio cabinet by taking foam and cutting the shapes out, then pinning them together with nails and then fiberglassing over it... and in it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok... thanx for the input. Might just go with wood and just take my time with the measuring and cutting.... I'd hate to spend all the time on it and have it blow apart while I was playing some deep bass!

·
WHOO WHOOOO
1,255 Posts
i built my box completely out of fiberglass and didnt have a problem with the foam. the biggest problem i had was getting it smooth enough to paint which took god knows how long but its worth it if youre up to it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have a problem with flexing and possible paint cracking?

·
Too damn old for this sh*
2,373 Posts
made mine outta fiberglass, lotas, lotsa, lotsa sanding (all for nothing cause I never painted em... covered in vinyl)

here's an idea to make the back of the enclosure... tape off the area you want to FG with 3-4 layers of masking tape.... use a sharpie to mark an outline of the general shape of your box, take some sort of material, tshirt, fleece, fiberglass mat (chopped), use some 3m spray adhesive and glue the material inside of your marked off area. Soak the material in resin, let cure, add more layers and then "pull the mold." Trim the edges and the begin building the rest of the enclosure.

For the front, to get that, smooth/pod sorta look, get/make some speaker rings, mount them in your desired location using "pillars" to support them, then take your material and stretch it over.

I did this for my original concept box.... worked pretty good until I changed my mind mid way...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts