S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Norcal
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
becasue I have no cat i think the unburned gas is going back to the egr so when i idle it is getting all that cruumy air and it wants to bog. where is the egr on my 2002 so i can sheck to see if this is the problem.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
um...i dont think the cat would result in unburnt gas...just put the cat back on.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I believe the egr comes off the driver side header. So it shouldn't have any effect as far down stream as the cat. You can get a EGR limiter from s10planet, or get a Mach flash to completly eliminate it.

·
carries a gun at work
1,984 Posts
if you have no cat the lack of backpressure is prob causing the bad idle. that or its an unrelated problem.

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
i think 2002-2003's have internal EGR's and im no expert but wouldnt the PCV maybe be the cause not the egr?

·
Registered
475 Posts
The egr isn't open when your idling, unless it got stuck open and needs a cleaning. Sorry I don't know where the location is on your engine though.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
XS10sive said:
I believe the egr comes off the driver side header. So it shouldn't have any effect as far down stream as the cat. You can get a EGR limiter from s10planet, or get a Mach flash to completly eliminate it.
Are you saying the egr is in the exhaust? Because thats not true

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
http://www.s10planet.com/tech_egr.htm

The EGR valve is the goofy round black thing in the picture labeled "We then removed the thermostat cover and pushed it aside to create more...". Its right next to the exposed thermostat in that pic. You can get a new gasket for the EGR for like $2 if you need to remove it for whatever reason (cleaning, for instance)

·
Norcal
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whenever i idle for awhile my truck bogs after that like its getting bad air i have 2002 how ca i do the egr MOd

·
Norcal
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i fixed it .... all i did was unplug the air tube coming off the back of the air intake box that goes for there and the left valve cover. it runs great now. i also plugged the air box where the tube went. i guess that where my bad emisions kept coming from that made myh truck stall. I drove around for awhile and my truck never stalled. and it had all of its original power.

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
take it to a mechanic make sure you did thigns that wont screw it up worse...just bc you unplugged something and it worked doesnt mean its fixed...could mean that piece needs replacing and you may run okay for like a day before shit goes wrong again

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
All he did was unhook the crankcase breather tube that goes from the right side valve cover to the back of the intake, this will not ruin anything, just throw a little $5 breather filter in the cover and you're good to go, I have had this done for years.

·
2nd place is the1st loser
238 Posts
He also said he took the cat off.Did he use a o2 simulator.

·
Norcal
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes a caspers electronics 02 sim
i had to bore out the breahter though so the breahter would work properly.

·
Norcal
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my exhaust is a precat----------staight pipe, Flowmaster with stock exhasut tailpipe for some backpresure.

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
i was told by several ppl not to disconnect that n it is the pcv valve n will throw codes n shit

·
Norcal
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well it sure runs better, you just have to make sure the breatehre filter is breathable.

·
Norcal
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
whee do you get a Mach Flash?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts