S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

so i have been reading a lot on these forums and i can't seem to find the answer to this. so i have an old 51 chevy car and i'm installing a 350 engine in it and i needed to change the differential for an s10. upon reading the specification i saw that pretty much any diff of 59.5 width would fit on it. i managed to find a 1997 s10 standard 4x4 in a scrapyard and picked it up.

here's the question: where is the ratio code? i saw in forum that i need to find a stap like GU6 etc like i saw from this user on the forum. i cannot find any stamp that looks like that on the diff. on the driver side of it, i did find a stamp number 5822 and on the passenger side it looks like a stamped print (TNB G 325 1439, BO 002621) (the O might be a D not sure). and that's pretty much it.

unfortunately, i could not check the sticker in the glove comparetment as the interrior was already ripped off. i would like to know, basically, if that diff is by any chance a 3.42 posi?

Thanks in advance!

BigC

·
Been there Done it
13,180 Posts
I'm afraid you're going to have to pull the cover to find out what you'd like to know. The ratio is stamped into the ring gear it'll be something like 41-12. 41 on the ring gear 12 on the pinion which is 3.41666 or rounded it's 3.42.
As far as the G80 GovLock option goes if you only see 4 spider gears in the center area around the axle ends, you don't have it. If there's a bunch of other stuff in there it is a G80 LSD.

Code (and part number). This one is 4.10 ratio:
Font Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Triangle

Non locking:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

G80:
Rim Automotive tire Gear Machine Locking hubs

Reactions: BigCSurprise

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm afraid you're going to have to pull the cover to find out what you'd like to know. The ratio is stamped into the ring gear it'll be something like 41-12. 41 on the ring gear 12 on the pinion which is 3.41666 or rounded it's 3.42.
As far as the G80 GovLock option goes if you only see 4 spider gears in the center area around the axle ends, you don't have it. If there's a bunch of other stuff in there it is a G80 LSD.

Code (and part number). This one is 4.10 ratio:
View attachment 357077

Non locking:
View attachment 357075

G80:
View attachment 357076
Perfect, thank you very much!
it sucks a bit because i wanted to make sure without opening it, but it's fine for now. i have the part that fits on my car. i was just wondering because i couldn't find the stamp just like on every picture i found on the internet. it's gonna be a project for a bit later since it's -36c outside so i don't want to go out and try to open it hehe.

anyway, it was very helpful, i just wanted to see if, by any chance, there could be somewhere else to look on the outside.

Thanks again!

BigC

·
B4U Task Force Admin
31,214 Posts
Perfect, thank you very much!
it sucks a bit because i wanted to make sure without opening it, but it's fine for now. i have the part that fits on my car. i was just wondering because i couldn't find the stamp just like on every picture i found on the internet. it's gonna be a project for a bit later since it's -36c outside so i don't want to go out and try to open it hehe.

anyway, it was very helpful, i just wanted to see if, by any chance, there could be somewhere else to look on the outside.

Thanks again!

BigC
Check page 19. It's for a 2004, but II'd b et all years had codes stamped into the tube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check page 19. It's for a 2004, but II'd b et all years had codes stamped into the tube.

thanks for replying, i had already found that document before i posted here and i do have that stamped code on the axel, i simply do not have any documentation explaining what it means. i tried to find anything it doesnt seem to make any sense. in my original post, i wrote the stamp code (TNB G 325 1439, BO 002621 ) and none of it seem to translate to anything from page 19 :/

i did manage to open it up, found it was 3.42 but not posi. so thanks for your input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts