S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me decide what to do about the bowtie emblem on the grille? I did a blue stripe kit on my s10 and I painted the emblem blue without thinking of it blending in. Should I remove the bowtie and paint it red or black or just leave it as it is. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I texted this to a couple friends of mine. Solid red or black is what I got from them. I was going for blue on white paint scheme but with the emblem in between the stripes it can't be white or blue without being lost in color. Now if it it was one single wide stripe down one side then it would be fine, but it would look European like a rally car

· B4U Task Force Admin
34,998 Posts
I texted this to a couple friends of mine. Solid red or black is what I got from them. I was going for blue on white paint scheme but with the emblem in between the stripes it can't be white or blue without being lost in color. Now if it it was one single wide stripe down one side then it would be fine, but it would look European like a rally car
I'd go for the SS bowtie look...Red with black outline.

· Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
2,169 Posts
Another option might be a much lighter tint of blue for the bowtie. It would be a more subtle differentiation, while maintaining the blue/ white theme. Conversely, something like the red (w/ or w/o the outline) would be high contrast and really 'pop'. Or another option - leave the blue, and add a red outline. It really comes down to how much emphasis you plan for the emblem. Do some mock ups for comparison.

Edit: Another thought - leave the bowtie the same blue, but separate the flanking horizontal 'stripes' of the grill the same amount as between the hood strips - a white 'margin' if you will, around the bowtie.

· Premium Member
Currently: 96 4wd XCab, 85 2wd S15 XCab, 82 2wd lwb Sport, 95 2wd Jimmy w/95 LT1
383 Posts
At a glance, my eye picks up a "chrome" color at six points, symmetrical, on your frontal view, the four lamps and the two hood latches. In my mind that keeps a silver/chrome on your list - that touch in the center would set it all off and fit the theme there. A machinist friend could make a piece up out of aluminum, easily on a Bridgeport or Cincinnati miller, polish and clear it. I personally would be thinking about that.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another option might be a much lighter tint of blue for the bowtie. It would be a more subtle differentiation, while maintaining the blue/ white theme. Conversely, something like the red (w/ or w/o the outline) would be high contrast and really 'pop'. Or another option - leave the blue, and add a red outline. It really comes down to how much emphasis you plan for the emblem. Do some mock ups for comparison.

Edit: Another thought - leave the bowtie the same blue, but separate the flanking horizontal 'stripes' of the grill the same amount as between the hood strips - a white 'margin' if you will, around the bowtie.
Absolutely looking for the pop. Really good suggestions. Dang.... now I have even more options to consider 😭. Really great input. Thanks

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At a glance, my eye picks up a "chrome" color at six points, symmetrical, on your frontal view, the four lamps and the two hood latches. In my mind that keeps a silver/chrome on your list - that touch in the center would set it all off and fit the theme there. A machinist friend could make a piece up out of aluminum, easily on a Bridgeport or Cincinnati miller, polish and clear it. I personally would be thinking about that.
Thanks. Never thought about aluminum and I happen to have some 1/4 inch plate aluminum on hand. If I don't like what I've done, I'll seriously take that option.

· Premium Member
Currently: 96 4wd XCab, 85 2wd S15 XCab, 82 2wd lwb Sport, 95 2wd Jimmy w/95 LT1
383 Posts
In regard to the blues being discussed, consider this... through '61, the Chevy bowtie was a nice vibrant deep blue color. In '62, for their golden anniversary, they changed it to gold. In the years following, it was mostly the blue, but also gold on and off,(I don't recall any rhyme or reason for that). If you tilt to the darker blues, it might be cool to match that old blue, a tilt of the hat to where this all came from.

Trivia.... there was a one year only gold metallic in '62, to celebrate the anniversary. Real nice color.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts