S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Newbie for Life
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my forth set of plug wires since I got the Jimmy a couple months ago. I have tried about every Autozone brand, including Bosch, but I having no luck. I need to know what is a GOOD high temp set. Everytime I check the staight boot closest to the driver side headlight is completely dry rotted. Also, please let me know a good place to purchase them. I really appreciate your help guys, this Jimmy is really starting to piss me off.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,235 Posts
Been there done that...:banghead: Quit messin with aftermarket and get oem:bowtie: Kinda spendy but they work like they were built for it...

·
Newbie for Life
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already burnt through AC Delco.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,235 Posts
BryonC17 said:
Already burnt through AC Delco.

Already checked all the obvious stuff?? laying against headers/manifold...not rubbing...using wire looms?? If you keep throwing money at new wire sets it might be worth it to let chevrelot replace them. My dealer offers lifetime warranty on them. They might have some insight on your problem, or at least look a little harder if they have to replace too many sets.

·
Newbie for Life
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used electrical tape to keep them from rubbing anywhere on the engine compartment. The wires boots are dry-rotting. How much would it cost to get done at a dealership?

·
Newbie for Life
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really think that the issue is the heat getting to the boot. That is why I am looking for a high temp set.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,235 Posts
Hold on to your wallet...the wires are$140..probably about 1 hr labor. I was having a major engine performace problem. Had my injectors replaced, but turned out my ignition was lighting up the engine bay. they replacer the wires $140, cap $45, rotor $20, and plugs $6ea. Along with the diagnostic. the tab was just over ...$600. It was a shock but like I said...lifetime on the wires and it runs great...Sometimes it's hard to do better than oem

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,235 Posts
BryonC17 said:
I really think that the issue is the heat getting to the boot. That is why I am looking for a high temp set.
The question i would be asking myself is..is everyone having the same problem. I had well over 100,000 miles on mine before they puked. i really think there must be some other cause than heat. If it is heat related...why just the one?? Try a little dielectric grease on the boots also...

·
Newbie for Life
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have noticed it happening on more than just one, it just seems that one is going the fastest....I wish other people had the problem so I knew the solution. I keep buying wires with warranties so I am not really losing money. I relly don't have the money to spend to take it to the dealership, and I would really hate to think that I was paying to get parts installed that I didn't need. I am going to try that dielectric grease.

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
694 Posts
U might be running too lean. Try looking in there at night after some active driving, Maybe red hot?

·
Newbie for Life
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What would cause me to run lean? I am wondering if the cause may be heat shields being removed during my engine swap.....

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
yeah, if the heat shields arent there, id say thats what does it.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
BryonC17 said:
What would cause me to run lean? I am wondering if the cause may be heat shields being removed during my engine swap.....
Dude u just answered your question.

Why are my wires burning?

Becuase u removed the heat shields.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,235 Posts
[ I am wondering if the cause may be heat shields being removed during my engine swap..... [/B][/QUOTE]

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees...:uhoh:

·
Newbie for Life
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not positive all of them are off, I am going to check tommorow. I am just trying to think of something that would cause this.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i kinda thought the heat shields were one piece objects for each side. could be wrong, tho.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,235 Posts
They are...at least on my 96..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts