S-10 Forum banner

need help ASAP

981 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  wonbadass10 
#1 ·
ok some of u guys might have read my post about my starter probs, and how i got them fixed, well today im drivin home from my girlfriends appt, about an hour away from home, and it was sputterin and actin weird, so i start checkin gauges, i got about 6 volts!!!! and it just stals out, right in the middle of the street so i get it moved into a parking lot, get it started back up once again and pulled the hot lead off the battery, and it stalled, making me think that my problem is my alternator, so i get a ride to the nearest advanced auto parts, and deal with some pimply faced kid who didnt know squat about cars, and paid 100 bucks for a crappy one year warranty alternator, so i put that on, still same thing, anyone have any idea at all as what could be doin this, this is an extreme emergency, i need to get my butt home

thanks

#2 · (Edited)
You REALLY need to get a DMM (Digital Multimeter) or an analog one. SOMETHING to read what the ACTUAL voltage is on stuff. Your problem seems to jive with how your truck is acting but, gauges can/have been wrong... With the truck running, have someone turn on the lights. The voltage SHOULD be around 14-15 volts with the truck running. When the lights turn on, the voltage will drop for a split second and then should come back up to 14-15 volts. If it is under 13 volts, you have an undercharging condition present and I would suspect the alternator, bad connection or shorted wire somewhere. DOUBLE check ALL your wires on the battery and alternator to make sure they are good and tight. HTH's

EDIT: In case you didn't see my post in the electrical forum, DO NOT disconnect your battery while your truck is running!!! You WILL blow the diodes on the rectifier bridge and the alternator will be WASTED! You may also damage your ECM pulling this stunt also. HTH's

Mike Campbell

#3 ·
yeah, i know i need my DMM but its at home, so i guess im gonna get up early tomorrow morning and find someplace around here that actually has a DMM and then start trouble shooting, where do u suggest i check my voltages at? the battery, or the alternator?

and another thing i dont get , she was PERFECT the whole way here last night, solid 14 volts, this truck is driving me friggin nuts

thanks for the help man

russ

#8 ·
how old is your battery? I had a similar problem in my old S10 and found that my battery had shorted across the plates.... just a thought.

addition... don't put a new alt on with even just a partially charged battery... it WILL fry

#11 ·
actually its not running, i HAD it running the other morning, went back that night to start it up and take it home and NOTHING, so we had to tow it home (harrisburg) from lancaster, there has to be an ignition/electrical problem, but for now im just gonna fix the camaro and say F(_)ck the S10

any suggestions would be nice

thanks

#12 ·
didnt think i would find some one from my town on here (harrisburg) any way i have had this problem too but not with an s-10 mine was a monte carlo and the problem their was the positive battery cable was leaning on my headers causing it to melt and short to ground... this caused my battery to drain and the car to pop bang clang then die on the road... hope this helps

jeff

#14 ·
mine was the actual positive cable fromthe battery to the starter..... if the wire your talking about is melted that most likely is your problem... im not to good with electrical but if my mind servs me right the wire your talking about runs from the fire wall to the starter is the wire that carries current from the alt. you also may want to make sure that the wire connected to the back of the alt is tight make sure its not shorted to ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.