S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here the gig. I have a 2003 2.2 3rd gen 5 speed s10. Single cab short bed I bought maybe 4 months ago. This truck has been amazing to me up until about 2 weeks ago. I noticed when i was driving just cruising along I noticed it would jump/buck/kick under very light throttle. Now when I accelerate it goes away like nothing ever happened. So not being to worried about it I dumped some injector cleaner in it thinking it was just some dirty gas or injectors... Nope. Nothing. It still kicked and bucked under light throttle. So far IV changed. Spark plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, tps sensor, cleaned throttle plate, checked for vacuum leaks, checked the trottle cable for any ware or slack,... Theres probly something else iv replaced or tested but I just can not figure out the problem. Other then that the truck runs like a top. Its not fast I havent noticed a loss in power. I mean its a 110hp 4 banger. Any help will be very appreciative. And something else. No service or money light. Ran a diagnostic and its clear of codes.

·
Chopper! Sic balls!
39,283 Posts
Hard to say without the truck in front of me. It could still be tired or dirty injectors. Technically there is no "3rd gen" though fyi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to say without the truck in front of me. It could still be tired or dirty injectors. Technically there is no "3rd gen" though fyi.
i would have to guess 'spark plugs".....make sure you use ac delco when you replace them
Good point. My truck seems to run like butt with any other brand of plug.

Yeah I dont know I think they sold me NGK plugs. Didnt even think of that. Another thing I forgot to mention is yesterday it brought up a code P0410 secondary air injection pump. People told me that it wouldnt cause the problems im having and others say it does matter. I checked the pump yesterday it comes on for about 30 seconds after a cold start then kicks off. I checked fuses and connections. Everything seemed to check out fine. Am i looking over something?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update. After doing hours of research I was told to change the one way check valve thats conected to the exhaust header. Does that sound like a good solution to anyone?

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,032 Posts
Not really. Those fail on everything GM put them on,and never seen a drivability issue related to their failure.

If I was diagnosing the truck I’d check the obvious like stated earlier...wrong plugs,bad wires...I’m terrible at guessing unless it’s in front of me,lol. At work I’d drive around on the data screen of my modis,and see which cylinders are dropping as well as the O2 sensor readings. The 2.2 is a speed density vehicle,and doesn’t throw lean codes as easily as air density vehicles like the 4.3 trucks..I’ve seen failing fuel pumps on these trucks do everything from no power,misfires,to lean codes in severe cases...I’ve seen the coils shot through the bottom,and ground out on the module,seen the terminals on the coils corrode where the plug wire attaches...best bet if the obvious is expended is to take it to a shop instead of throwing parts at it...

·
Registered
218 Posts
The air pump only runs during open loop operation, typically right after start-up. It shouldn't cause any problems after that. Are you getting any codes other than P410?

Jake

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,032 Posts
A second gen version 2.0? :haha:

I can kinda see it tho. if you dismantle a 95-97,and then start taking apart 98-03 models it kinda is a 3rd gen in comparison. they’re way different once you get past the body panels,suspension&brakes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you checked the idle air control valve? You can test this by disconnecting it with the engine running. When the sensor is disconnected, the truck should begin a "fast" idle.

Other than that, I would check the o2 sensors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
ghostrider1776
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing