S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all right guys, some of you may have read my thread about blowin fuses. Well if you didnt heres a up-to-date of what going on.

This is what i have for my wiring setup to run my compressor:

- 16 Guage wire coming from battery to a on/off toggle switch
- 16 guage wire from toggle switch to Square D pressure switch (T1 Terminal)
- 16 guage wire from Square D (T2 Terminal) to SR80 solenoid (one of the small terminals on SR80)

- 16 guage wire from other small terminal on SR80 to frame (for ground)
- 4 Guage power wire from battery (with 80 amp fuse) to large terminal on SR80
- Power wire from compressor (PUMA/DC7000) going to the other large terminal on SR80

I am blowin the fuse on the 4 guage power wire everytime the pressure switchengages the compressor.
If I manually turn the compressor on (for example, there is 0 PSI in tank and I flip the toggle switch to turn the compressor on) it works just fine and shuts off at 150 PSI.
If I then play with the bags a little, and drop tank pressure to where the Square D engages compressor, it automatically blows the fuse in the 4 guage power wire.

So I thought maybe my fuse wasnt large enough, so I tested something.......
I connected the wire directly and bypassed the fuse to see if it would work........DIDNT! It almost welded the two together on the 4 guage power wire. AND it drained my battery in a heart beat.

Any ideas here??? I thought maybe something was grounding out, so I insulated the wires completely with electrical tape, didnt help.

PLEASE, THIS IS THE ONLY THING PREVENTING ME FROM DRIVING MY TRUCK!!!!!

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Sounds like your compressor motor is fried and is drawing way too much current. That would explain why it blows the fuse when the pressure switch kicks it on and it blows the fuse.

At 0 psi, there is no strain on the compressor, so the startup amperage is relatively low... but when you have a lot of pressure in the tank, it takes a bit of power to get that compressor going, so it spikes when it first turns on (as do most electrical appliances). But in the case of your compressor, it is over spiking, which is a sign of a bad motor.

Also a sign of a bad motor would be that it heated up your power wire and drained your battery damn quick.

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SlammedDime said:
Sounds like your compressor motor is fried and is drawing way too much current. That would explain why it blows the fuse when the pressure switch kicks it on and it blows the fuse.

At 0 psi, there is no strain on the compressor, so the startup amperage is relatively low... but when you have a lot of pressure in the tank, it takes a bit of power to get that compressor going, so it spikes when it first turns on (as do most electrical appliances). But in the case of your compressor, it is over spiking, which is a sign of a bad motor.

Also a sign of a bad motor would be that it heated up your power wire and drained your battery damn quick.

hmmm.......that was SUPPOSED to be a brand new compressor. Bought it locally from a shop that sells them.

It just so happens though, I HAVE ANOTHER one on stand by!!!! I will swap them out and see it that takes care of it.

Do you think the 80 amp fuse would be sufficent though??? Because I am going to buy some new fuses, and I need to know if I should get bigger or not.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
yeah he's right... id say it the comp....somethings not right on the motor and its trying to draw to much current on start-up

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fiveinchbodydrop said:
80's fine....

how about 60 amp fuse??? I just went to Menards to get some more fuses, and the biggest they had was a 60 amp fuse.
Think that will work too or do I need the 80???

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, just takin a little break rightn ow, but I just have to connect the power/ground back up to the compressor and we will se if that was the problem.

By the way, will the 60 amp fuse work??? Thats all I got, and I dont want it to blow and then me think its something else when in fact I just needed a bigger fuse.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
you just put the backup on?
the 60 should work for one dc7000.... they shouldnt draw more than 50 at 150spi or start up

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
***** UPDATE ******

Well, switched the compressors out, ran the 60 amp fuse, and IT WORKS FUKKEN WONDERFULLY!!!!! THANK YOU SlammeDime for your help, I would have never thought the compressor was bad.

YOU GUYS ARE THE SHIT!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts