S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a phantom tach from autometer and i have no freakin clue on how it hooks up ! ! ! ! 99 s-10 4.3 auto...lil info

1 BLACK
1 GREEN
1 RED
2 BROWN'S
1 WHITE
2 purples

my friend said take my dash off and splice my existing tach connection that goes into the back of my whiteface gauges yes i have an auto and i have a 4.3 just doin it for the looks....ne one have a step by step process???????i dont really wanna ****** rig this shit but yea need sum help guys! ! ! if ya got a step by step or phots that would really help out and i think every one on the fourm would benefit from it!
i do not have any instructions wut so ever

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
I've got a different model Autometer but here's some of it-
RED- switched 12V
BLACK- Ground
GREEN- Tach terminal/- side of coil
WHITE- Dash lights
Dunno about the browns and purples

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea its a phantome autometer white face gauged hence the pahntom and its got a shift light
when u say switch 12 v u mean sumthing thats only on when the igniton is truned on correcr? side of coil which wire there too comin off of it? couldnt i just splice it into the back of my existing tach in my gauges? wouldnt that work it would be alot easier! !

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
The switched 12v is the powersource that is turned on with the key, your best bet is to splice that into the red wire on your radio, then splice the white wire into the light switch, but you want a test light to find the right one, then you want to cut the wire going to your tach and hook up the aftermarket one to that wire... i dunno about the shift lite though, i think you need a "pill" for it or something.

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so guys this is wut im gonan do im gonna wire the red wire to the radio....then splice in my green taht is suppsoe to go to my negative coil im gonna go to my tach on my dash gonna try to hook it up there and find a ground in there sum where...gonna try to keep less holes out of my fire wall! will hooking the green wire that is suppose to go to my negative coil work if i splice it to the existing one i my gagues cause i already got a tach in my dash so cant i just splice the two and have the same exact readings?

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
If your old tach had a green wire I'd bet it's the same cuz every other tach I've seen used green to coil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I believe the factory tach signal wire in the harness is actualy white at least mine is.
THe browns and purples you wire together in a certian order to let the tach know if it is a 8, 6 , or 4 banger.
the shift light plugs straight into the tach

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Also, you can splic the black ground into the black wire for your radio... Grounds all go to the same place

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dude i need the oreder of the brown and purple i got a v-6 the 4.3

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SORRY I HAVE GREEN TO COIL I HOOKED GREEN TO THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF THE COIL i think white with a blakc stripe well spliced so everything still hooked up and just kinda feedin off the info its OFF 500 RPM WTF

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Off 500? Is it 500 fast or 500 slow? I thought the vortec was DIS? If it has coil packs and you hooked it up the a negative wire on the coil pack theres your problem... You need the signal wire form the ECM to the tach, the coil packs have 3 coils i believe (going by other GM DIS systems), 1 coil per 2 plugs... say its time for your cylinder number 1 to fire, and cylinder 1&3 share the same coil, both cylinders will fire even though only one is ready to... the coil doesnt care.

Basically with a regular coil and dirstributer system the coil fires once for every sparkplug, but with a DIS you got coils firing basically all the time.

I know this is confusing, but you MIGHT understand what im trying to say, find the white wire running to your stock tach.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You might of already seem it but there is install how to on this in the reviews & howto's section of this forum. Titled install A 5. But they're only talking about 4 wires. Don't know if this will help.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
:move: to electrical.

Leave it to this ONE THREAD!!

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its ok i ****in ripped it out and said **** it thansk guys its for sale now

1 - 17 of 17 Posts