S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to this forum and new to making changes to my truck.

I have a 2003 S10 2wd with the ZQ8 package on it. I want to lift my truck up so that I can get some 31’s under it. I don’t do any off roading or much hauling. The most I do is tow my 18’ Wellcraft to the dock and every now and then some yard stuff from Home depot.

I am looking at the fabtech spindle lift kit, brake lines and rear shackles. 2” body lift kit.

My questions are:

Will I have to get a longer drive shaft?
Is this safe for the highway?
Will I have enough lift to get 31’s under her?
Will I need different front coil springs?
Am I leaving anything out?

·
I Like 2 Cut Shit Up.
1,091 Posts

Will I have to get a longer drive shaft? = No
Is this safe for the highway? = Yes
Will I have enough lift to get 31’s under her? = Yes, maybe a little trimming.
Will I need different front coil springs? = No
Am I leaving anything out? = I don't think so.

Do you have any pics of your truck?

·
Registered
274 Posts
if im not mistakin the ZQ8 came with drop springs front and rear. no im not quite sure so dont quote me but if they do then new coil springs would be a good idea. if it was me go with Moog for just a little more lift instead of the stock springs. also i would replace your balljoints and do a balljoint flip with the uppers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been reading the sticky notes and have a couple more questions.

Because I am using fabtech lift spindles, do I need new lower control arms?

What or where can I find what front coil springs I need?

·
Registered
274 Posts
no you dont need new lower controls arms...
as far as the coil springs you can get stock replacements or you can get the Moog 5664-if you have a 6cyl or the Moog 5662-if you have a 4cyl. and your local auto parts store should have them O'Reilys sells them as far as i know

·
Zr2.2
2,190 Posts
I'll play the answer game lol

Will I have to get a longer drive shaft? Not a chance, myself as well as many others have more lift then your looking to get with the stock shaft yet.

Is this safe for the highway? Sure is, I run my truck on the highway everyday. And I beat the tar out of it regularly, I do check it throughly before I hit 70-75mph though.

Will I have enough lift to get 31’s under her? With stock (non zq8) springs installed your plan will fit 31's, possibly very minor timming/clearancing needed.

Will I need different front coil springs? Yes as well as non zq8 leaf springs. Right now your basicly at a neg 1.5" of lift. With out changing out to non zq8 springs or going to moogs or dick cepeks your always going to be 1.5" lower then a stock s10, which will require you to cut fenders to clear your tires.

Am I leaving anything out? Extended front brake lines if you decide to go with a lift coil. Stock rubber lines are said to work with just spindles.

You do not need upper or lower control arms for what you want to do. Seeings your pulling an 18' boat I'm assuming you have a v6, if so I'd pick up some moog 5662 or 5664 coils for the front. The 5664's will lift you around an inch with a v6, 5662's a little less. You could get away with doing an axle flip (spring over axle setup) in the rear with your stock springs and keep it level, providing you have about 4" of lift up front.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW you guys are great!!!

Billduster my frieand who is on this forum a lot says you know your stuff so I should pay close attention to you.

Since I am going to replace the front coils with Moogs, I might as well change the rears to standard (non-ZQ8) leaf strings and use the ligting shackles that come with the Fabtech kit.

Will this make the truck level and give me the lift I need?????

·
bodydropped on 22s!
10,643 Posts
if you change the leafs to non zq8 a flip kit by itself will level it out pretty nice with everything you have listed for the front.

but its not like shackles are hard to swap out to test it though

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
I recommend just going with shackle lift with non-zq8 leaf which will get your rear height as desired. Although you could go with non-zq8 leaf and air shocks(lifetime warranty).

Look around on craigslist, classified, dezertdimes.com for anyone selling Fabtech spindle, this way you'll able get a set for half cost and aged paint. Although it's still important to make spindle isn't bent or threads stripped when you check them.

It'll be cheaper to go with www.bajacustoms.com for brake line than Fabtech unless you can get them for less than $100 shipped.

Also, ZQ8 suspension are something you'll be able to sell for reasonable cost.

Be sure to check on steering linkage, bushing, bearings, balljoints while you install the parts. Don't skimp on balljoint cost, go with Moog or Extreme Duty(blue boots).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What and everyone thank you for all your input.

What are the dangers to doing an axle flip? I'm not too sure until I understand about what is involved and pro/cons of doing so. This is my daily driver and I do some long distance high trips.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

FRONT:
Fabtech 3 .5 lift spindles
Extended brake lines
Moog 5664 front coil springs
Upper & lower ball joints (just because I have it apart and might as well do it)
Shocks

REAR:
Non ZQ8, ZR2 or standard S10 leaf springs????????????????
Shackles
Shocks

Does this look about right?????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What and everyone thank you for all your input.

What are the dangers to doing an axle flip? I'm not too sure until I understand about what is involved and pro/cons of doing so. This is my daily driver and I do some long distance high trips.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

FRONT:
Fabtech 3 .5 lift spindles
Extended brake lines
Moog 5664 front coil springs
Upper & lower ball joints (just because I have it apart and might as well do it)
Shocks

REAR:
Non ZQ8, ZR2 or standard S10 leaf springs????????????????
Shackles
Shocks

Does this look about right?????

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
Alright, if you lift the rear, depending on how much will determine the shock you need. If it's 1.5-3 inches, then a stock shock will work, 3-5", then zr2 shock. Any more and you may need a shock off of a different truck.

Get standard leaf springs, z83 is the soft set, and z85 is the heavy duty set, I have hte z85, I hated the z83's. So get what you will like more in terms of ride and height. The z85's also sit higher just so you know.

And axle flip, is taking the axle and mounting it below the leaf springs instead of on top of them. YOu need the correct brackets, and they MUST be welded to the axle tube with the correct angle pinion and the old brackets are removed. Do not buy bolt on brackets as they will fail, it's only a matter of time. If done correctly, they are just as safe as the stock setup, this is how full-size trucks are btw.

The list looks good to me.

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
going with stock leaf and flip over axle will get you very high rear lift.

Stock leaf spring with 2 or 3" lift shackle, but what type of angle are you're wanting?

Prerunner stance

Level

Rake stance(4wd-ish)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What

I am going for the level look.

The guy I have doing it for me won't do an axle flip, so I am going to have to use stock S10 leaf springs with the shackles that come in the fabtech kit. I hope to get the level look, I guess I could always get the next size up shackles or air shocks if it doesn't level correctly.

What is the purpose of flipping the upper ball jiont????

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
With level look, lift over axle will be way too high for you in the rear. What I recommend is to take care of the front end lift and such then measure the rear to match the front height and that's the lift difference you need for lift shackle.

Purpose of flipping the upper balljoint(it's basically remove from stock location and mount from underneath the upper control arm) by doing so will give you better angle than it does from stock which will put it's balljoint at it's limit and bound to break much sooner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts