S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fully Bagged Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 with the vortec 4.3l. The engine has 103,000 miles on it. I recently replaced (fuel filter, had radiator flushed/filled, transmission fluid and gasket changed, new dist cap/rotor, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, and new pcv valve) Im going to change oil again this week and getting new cai also.

The problem Im having is it seems to hesitate when I accelerate. What else should I check?? Or should I try to have someplace put it on a diagnostic, to see if it alerts to the problem.

Thanks for reading the long post and for any help.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Was the problem before or after doing all that work. You may have a weak fuel pump.

·
Early Member
3,135 Posts
Check your coil and air filter.

·
Fully Bagged Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first problem seemed to be that it wasnt as smooth at idle as it once was so after changing some stuff it smoothed out alittle, but its still there. Then After I changed the dist cap/rotor and wires this weekend it gave me that crappy accel problem.

Im getting a new intake setup this week, so no need to check the filter. Plus when I took it out this weekend it wasnt that dirty

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
It definitely sounds like ignition/ignition timing related-

I would check all your ignition work and make sure there wasnt a defect that went un-noticed or ... can you change the ignition timing on these newer setups by turning the dist cap??? If you can then definitely look into that- just a few degrees can spell trouble at worst, stutters at best! Check all vacc lines/wires that maybe you could have broke/unhooked when you did the work.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
did you use AC Delco ignition stuff? if not, switch back to that and see if the problem clears up.

·
Fully Bagged Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used autolite parts, and dont plan to spend more money to see if ac delco parts work better. I might just buy a new ignition coil and see if that helps.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
no, delco parts WILL work better. never heard naything bad about autolite, but never really heard anything good about it, either.

·
Registered
619 Posts
eh.... the autolite parts will work fine.... might wear out faster but they will be fine.... ac delco in the future though! :p

check and clean your EGR, tends to be a common problem

·
Fully Bagged Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do I clean the EGR? And what should I look for when I check it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
first find all ur old parts.then when u have time change them back one at a tme till u find the problem. then try replacing that part again to make sure.

·
Fully Bagged Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well they were trashed when I got new parts

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
damn that sucks..... Ac delco stuff works the best on these trucks, but it almost seems like either a fueling problem or a timing problem......if its still there after replacing all those parts, its none of those parts!

Caleb

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Just for shits and giggles, what kind of plugs did you put in?

Were they gapped properly?

·
Fully Bagged Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The plugs were done by a shop, when I had the radiator and trans fluids changed. Pretty sure they were Bosch though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts