S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Recently picked up a 98 2.2L 5 speed s10 for 4k. 70k original miles. Car runs and drives great! Fires right up, doesn't stall, doesn't bog, etc. If it weren't for a few DTCs, I would have never thought anything was wrong. Here is a SS of the DTCs:

In short, I need to find an evap leak and change my downstream o2. Fair enough. I don't understand the P1632 however. It even says it PASSED this ignition cycle and the past. So what gives? Does it take time for it to clear? Once gain, my truck has never had a fuel cut / shut off from anything, it runs 100% normal. Ideas??

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Been there Done it
12,431 Posts
I looked in my 98 FSM and it says that a passed theft deterrent test must show on 40 drive cycles before it will self clear. You should be able to manually clear it with your scanner.
A faulty ignition switch or even a loose wire can set it and the truck won't start. Either of those might have happened before you bought the truck.
Here's an old post on the subject. It eventually morphs into a fuel issue
but the first part of the thread applies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked in my 98 FSM and it says that a passed theft deterrent test must show on 40 drive cycles before it will self clear. You should be able to manually clear it with your scanner.
A faulty ignition switch or even a loose wire can set it and the truck won't start. Either of those might have happened before you bought the truck.
Here's an old post on the subject. It eventually morphs into a fuel issue
but the first part of the thread applies.
Thanks for the reply. 40 cycles makes sense as Ive only had the truck 2 weeks and had 0 issues in terms of starting / dying / stalling, etc. Perhaps something did happen before my ownership? Either way I only have 1 key, and it's a basic 98 metal blade with a skinny black head. Not even sure if it includes a security module inside. Hopefully it stays off, thank you.

·
Been there Done it
12,431 Posts
On your truck the security chip is inside the ignition key cylinder, not in the key like on some other GM vehicles. GM's thinking was if a thief doesn't have a key they will most likely slide hammer the key cylinder out to use a screwdriver to start the truck. But when the key cylinder is removed so is any chance the truck will start. When the BCM doesn't receive a code from the lock cylinder it tells the PCM to shut off the fuel injectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts