S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2446560479&category=33741

I know questions have been asked up the wazoo about superchargers and turbos. I haven't actually heard or read about anyone with a supercharger on the 2.2L. This is actually the first supercharger that I have seen that looks pretty self contained with plumbing and stuff that looks kinda easy to adapt.

I'm sure the SC from the 3.8L GM cars works the same way, but this one just looks cool. If I didn't have and want to keep AC I would think about getting something like this, fabbing up a bracket and some tubing and plumbing and then go to town with the tuning.

It looks like a pretty compact unit. Looks smaller than the gm supercharger, and I know space is an issue under the hood.

Any thoughts on the feasability, or any major issues I overlooked?

·
Fear My Stupidity
1,293 Posts
computer tuning and matching the runners to the 2.2 may be tricky...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I am going to say that fitting that will be pretty hard, it is almost too large for this application. It is pretty much the same S/C that GM puts in the GTP, Bonneville, ECT. Plumbling is actually one of the easiest parts, however Fitting it and getting the belt set up right is pretty difficult and will probably require another tensioner or pully setup. Then there is fuel management which will be difficult.

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zq-8 Dawg, what supercharger are you looking into for your truck?

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
I used to have that supercharger, they go out after age and aren't cheap to fix (at all). Plus if I'm not mistaken they used them from 89-94 or 95 so most likely it's over 10 years old as it is. Plus after doing all the work to the intake manifold and everything it's not gonna be cheap.

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
Just read that it's new, but look at all the vaccuum fittings. I think theres around 6 or so of them......

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I was thinking about a toyota SC14 from a toyota previa mini van, or a Mercedes Benz 2.3L kompressor S/C. I am not sure which way I want to go yet or even if I want to go with a supercharger. I like these S/C's because you can turn them on and off because they have a clutch on them like the A/C compressor.

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
Zq-8_dawg said:
I was thinking about a toyota SC14 from a toyota previa mini van, or a Mercedes Benz 2.3L kompressor S/C. I am not sure which way I want to go yet or even if I want to go with a supercharger. I like these S/C's because you can turn them on and off because they have a clutch on them like the A/C compressor.

Arent those eaton roots too??

And I'm assuming you know you don't turn them on and off, they work on vaccuum.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
yeah I was about to say....the only superchargers that turn on and off are the electric ones that don't do a damn thing......at least thats what I know of. maybe someone made something dumb?

Caleb

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I was going to try to set it up differently so It could be turned on and off, but if I couldn't i would wire it to stay on all the time. Like I said I am still unsure what I will do. I am almost leaning toward doing more to the engine instead as of this point. I am going to see if I can't pick up a used core engine next week.

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
Zq-8_dawg said:
I was going to try to set it up differently so It could be turned on and off, but if I couldn't i would wire it to stay on all the time. Like I said I am still unsure what I will do. I am almost leaning toward doing more to the engine instead as of this point.

Superchargers arent electric. At a certain amout of vaccuum (pushing on the gas) they'll start kicking in, the farther you push the gas the more boost you'll get. Dropping in a new engine is going to be a MUCH better investment than trying to fabricate all new parts.

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zq8- Dawg is talking about a supercharger with a clutch in the pully, just like the pully on an ac compressor.

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That thing is cool. Why does mercedes have it set up like that? Gas mileage thing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote: German _Extreme
Superchargers arent electric. At a certain amout of vaccuum (pushing on the gas) they'll start kicking in, the farther you push the gas the more boost you'll get.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant or not, but: A supercharger goes further than vacum and creates boost. As some boost gauges read vac and boost. Boost is created when the engine driven pully turns the compressor as in the case of a turbo exhaust gas drives the turbine to turn the compressor. Notice both are powered by the engine, and vary with rpm. As on a normally aspirated engine more vac would be created at W.O.T. so, boost be needed to go past that point.

Your engine is an air pump- assisting it with another will pump a greater amount=power increase.

I would look into a more commonly seen turbo 4cyl setup as not to drag on the small 22

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
hook up the supercharger to you ac compressor switch, that way people riding with you get confused as to why your air conditioning hs a whistle and and actually makes yoru car faster.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I will be removing the clutch fan therefore taking drag off of the engine, yes superchargers normally aren't as efficient as turbos, but it is still going to add a decent amount of power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts