S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 s10 with a 5speed Trans. The owner before me was gonna ls swap the truck and then decided not to. He cut every connection to the engine so he could pull it.

I now have this truck. I went to pull-a-part and every single wiring harness was cut up.

I did manage to get all the hoses that were cut off the truck. All I need now is the wiring harness. Specifically the section that goes from the fuse box across the engine that connects into all the sensors and to the transmission.

Iv searched the web with no luck for a wiring harness.

Does anyone know where I can get one. Any advice at all would help. How much has the harness changed in the following years after 98?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
98 is a bit different, it's the only year of the 98+ models that has EGR for example.

You should be able to re-pin your connectors to make another years' harness work, but other than that, I think you'll need a '98. It may even differ from early to late '98 as well (changeover year).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
98 is a bit different, it's the only year of the 98+ models that has EGR for example.

You should be able to re-pin your connectors to make another years' harness work, but other than that, I think you'll need a '98. It may even differ from early to late '98 as well (changeover year).
Yeah this 98 is quite the pain in the a** to piece back together.

Iv managed to solder most of the harness back together for all of the engine connections.

In theory if I have a diagram of the pin out I should be able to run new independent wires from the computer to the different sensors on the transmission correct?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 98 s10 with a 5speed Trans. The owner before me was gonna ls swap the truck and then decided not to. He cut every connection to the engine so he could pull it.

I now have this truck. I went to pull-a-part and every single wiring harness was cut up.

I did manage to get all the hoses that were cut off the truck. All I need now is the wiring harness. Specifically the section that goes from the fuse box across the engine that connects into all the sensors and to the transmission.

Iv searched the web with no luck for a wiring harness.

Does anyone know where I can get one. Any advice at all would help. How much has the harness changed in the following years after 98?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
I got one for an automatic

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

After an embarrassing amount of time and frustration. I was able to use the multimeter and wiring diagram to identify every wire. Soldered every one of the back together and used 3 different destroyed harnesses from pull-a-part for connectors I was missing.

I DO NOT SUGGEST EVER DOING THIS.

The time is not worth it. But it can be done.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
the new guy
699 Posts
I totally feel your pain, eagle. I went through this on my son's bmw when we went from an automatic 325e to a 5 speed 325i. completely different harness and all we could find was cut pieces, or buy a complete used one for 2-300 on ebay. took a few days of multimeter fun to fix

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,153 Posts
I may have one. I can check Sunday when I’m back at my house in Alabama...I have a ‘98 5speed engine on the floor in my shop. Pretty sure the harness is still on it...I recently bought a 98 automatic with a stripped out spark plug hole,and I was looking at the engine deciding weather to just stab it in,or swap just the head..it looked fairly complete.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,153 Posts
@Eagle7812 , I have it. A complete 98 2.2 5 speed engine harness...

not so mythical now,...lol. It’s all there. Only thing thing I see cut is the signal wire to the starter the loop is cut. you can get that for a couple cents at Autozone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts