S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel dumb since I just pulled everything to swap out head gaskets and intake gaskets, but I can't find it in any Google searches nor can I find it under the hood. The truck sat for a while before I was able to put it back together, so my memory fails me. I know it's probably obvious what it is, but I'm a little stuck right now. I think it might be a diode maybe??? Anyway, it's a two pin black plug with a black and yellow wire pinned into the plug, it peels off the main harness near the top/center of the motor. It looks burnt anyway, so I'm probably going to replace it regardless of it's functionality. Any help is appreciated! Thanks guy!
Motor vehicle Light Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,337 Posts
Year/engine/trans...

·
Been there Done it
12,457 Posts
The only thing with a black and yellow plug is the computers temperature sensor. The one in the picture is broken off the base that screws into the front of the intake manifold. You'll need to get a new one obviously and then disconnect the wire and female connector from the broken upper half of the old sensor and plug it into the new sensors male connector.
Hopefully you were a bit less aggressive with the rest of the parts.

Reactions: Supersoaker

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel dumb since I just pulled everything to swap out head gaskets and intake gaskets, but I can't find it in any Google searches nor can I find it under the hood. The truck sat for a while before I was able to put it back together, so my memory fails me. I know it's probably obvious what it is, but I'm a little stuck right now. I think it might be a diode maybe??? Anyway, it's a two pin black plug with a black and yellow wire pinned into the plug, it peels off the main harness near the top/center of the motor. It looks burnt anyway, so I'm probably going to replace it regardless of it's functionality. Any help is appreciated! Thanks guy! View attachment 351955
This is the plug.
The only thing with a black and yellow plug is the computers temperature sensor. The one in the picture is broken off the base that screws into the front of the intake manifold. You'll need to get a new one obviously and then disconnect the wire and female connector from the broken upper half of the old sensor and plug it into the new sensors male connector.
Hopefully you were a bit less aggressive with the rest of the parts.
Thanks! No, I wasn't aggressive with anything, the sensor was melted to the plug so it came off as one piece and I didn't even notice when I took it off. Thanks a lot!

·
Been there Done it
12,457 Posts
Since it is a Vortec 4.3 I hope you used either Mahle or Fel Pro's best intake gaskets. I less expensive ones don;t last and you'll be doing it again. Also the 8 lower intake bolts should only be tightened to 11 ft/lbs (132in/lbs). If they are over tight the gaskets get distorted.
If you need to replace that sensor connector plug Rockauto has them.

Reactions: Supersoaker

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since it is a Vortec 4.3 I hope you used either Mahle or Fel Pro's best intake gaskets. I less expensive ones don;t last and you'll be doing it again. Also the 8 lower intake bolts should only be tightened to 11 ft/lbs (132in/lbs). If they are over tight the gaskets get distorted.
If you need to replace that sensor connector plug Rockauto has them.
Yep, I used Fel Pro's and my lonely torque wrench, not a job I want to do again. I just watched a YouTube video, it's definitely the temperature sensor. Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I used Fel Pro's and my lonely torque wrench, not a job I want to do again. I just watched a YouTube video, it's definitely the temperature sensor. Thanks a lot guys!
Well, I got everything back together and checked it all twice. The truck runs, but it idles horrible. The motor shakes violently. No ticking noises(or any other sounds) but it vibrates bad. I can give it gas and it feels and sounds perfect, but at idle it's bad. I've only changed the oil once, so it's still got that chocolate milk look from when the gaskets went out. I planned on changing the oil a few more times, but I'm not sure I'm going to spend anything else on it. 18 yr old truck, even though I'm pissed I did all that work and this is what I get out of it. Like i said though, 18 yr old Chevy, can't complain I guess. No smoke coming out of the tailpipe, no fluids leaking anywhere (externally) that I see anywhere? Yes, I got all the torque specs and used them. It has new plugs, new distributor, new plug wires. The only thing I might try is running it out of gas, and put some newer gas in it along with injector cleaner. If that doesn't work, I may be parting out a 2003 S10 LS 3 door, pewter paint.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,337 Posts
If you have the chocolate shake...you've probably trashed the bearings.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,337 Posts
New gas isn't going to help the milkshake. I had that happen to an '85 2.8 Blazer. I changed the oil multiple times, somtimes not even starting it, just to flush out the bad oil. I had suggested to others that they get an oil pump priming tool and spin it up with fresh oil in the pan....turn the engine over by hand about 1/4 or a revolution and repeat, hoping that would flush the bearings.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,337 Posts
X2. How long did it sit with water in the oil. An hour ok. But a couple days? Most likely bad news.
Even if it were a period of time, it would probably be ok as long as you don't turn the mixer on.... 😂

·
Been there Done it
12,457 Posts
I'd check it for a vacuum leak and double check that you have the plug wires on correctly. We've all done it.
The other thing I ran into on a Vortec 350 was that when the lower intake gasket failed it had etched the head severely. The new gasket couldn't seal in that one corner and it continued to leak into the oil. Some JB weld cured it. A different head would have been better.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,337 Posts
😅Ya but it’s not like he found out he blew the head gasket with out running the engine. Right?🤔
I was replying to your question about how long it sat with water in it. If it's just water...probably no big deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts