S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, first off my truck's a 97 s-10 SS ZR2.....

Well after I did my lower intake manifold gasket replacement, my truck never started back up since then.
I re-assembled everything correctly, no problems at all.
I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, and it STILL didnt start, put new sparkplug wires on too.

We did TDC correctly and dropped the Distributor in correctly, still nothing....

So I got it towed to my buddies shop to look at it.

He set it at TDC, lined up the Oil Pump Cam, Lined up the Distributor, and it wouldnt start for him either.
The truck has been in his shop for over 2 weeks and he CANNOT get it to start!
He ran computer diagnostic checks on it, and still nothing turned up.
He said he's pulled the distributor in and out so many times, hes tired of looking at the damn thing.

He verified that I re-installed everything correctly, it's just that something funny is going on here.
He said it's just not getting spark for some reason.

Heres my questions

1) On the spark plug wires there is two pieces of metal...(on the end where it connects to the distributor,) on one of my spark plug wires there is a little piece of metal that is missing...do you think that could cause this problem....or would that just cause a cylinder missfire?

2.) Do you think it's possible the fuel safety switch got triggered somehow(when vehicles get in accidents, a switch cuts off fuel)

3.) Is there any other anti-theft mechanism on these s-10's that could have gotten triggered, or anything at all that could stop the truck from starting up??

I just wanna get this damn truck fixed already.....it's been sitting for months over something that should have taken 2 days.

This stupid truck has got 3 mechanics stumped so far......and we cant seem to figuare out what's going on.

Anybody have any ideas??

Thanks alot,
Mike

·
V8ing the Dime
178 Posts
Does it crank over, but not fire? If so make sure you have fuel pressure or listen for pump kickin on. Pull a plug check for spark. And yes they have anti-theft it is called Passlock 2 if that is set off it will not start and theft will flash on gauges. That should atleast give you a spot to start at.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Well you determined no spark. Now find out why. No fuel will not keep a plug from firing. Check for power at the coil. Test the ignition module. And I am not sure if that passkey is too early for a relearn process. Was the battery disconected for a long time?

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Test the ignition module.
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if he has a defective ign module.
And make sure that the oil pressure sending unit is working correctly
as well as the connector. If it isn't it will cut fuel and spark I believe.

The pickup coil may be bad in the dist. It's a Hall Effect type sensor.
They do go out. There are tests for that. When you stabbed the dist
and it was fully seated correctly, does or did the rotor end up lining
up with the small arrowhead on the dist base ? >

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
You know this being a 97 it has a HVS [quasi-dist] a crank shaft position sensor
and a camshaft position swt. Though the camshaft position sensor is for fuel
delivery, the crank is critical that it and the HVS be in sync with each other.

I sent you an e-mail.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
well he was working on the intake and the module is right next to the coil. Two screws and autozone can test them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts