S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if anyone knows of this problem. I installed a 2 inch beltech lowering kit on my 99xtreme. And after driving around for a few days I noticed it was lower on the drivers side by a 1/2 inch. I know im a big guy and a but dam. Is there anything i can do to correct this???

·
Banned
17,375 Posts
yeah you can get spacers

it can also lean that way cuz thats where the gas tank is

·
Registered
746 Posts
read around, I see this question at least every other day....

its known as the "chevy lean" due to teh gastank and other heavy things on the driver's side......belltech makes a bushing for the driver's side that will correct this.

·
chopz33
566 Posts
belltech part #4930 or 4390 (cant remember which one)
or u can just remove passenger side spring and cut like 3/4 off a coil

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
no he would onlyneed to cut about 1/3 - 1/2 coil off because he said the truck is only leaning 1/2"

personally, id cut the passenger side spring down, i mean why do people buy a lowering kit, just to raise it back up with a spacer?

·
Grrr
1,575 Posts
because theyd rather pay money for something than do something free themself that they can screw up. But i agree with you wholeheartedly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gettin no where

personally id like it to be as low as the driver side. But the gas tank is not the cause on my truck. First off the gas tank(empty) does not wiegh more than 50 pounds. And with an empty tank my truck still leans. And the truck did not lean before the drop. So wich leaves me to believe no one realy knows what causes this problem. And I would like to cut the spring to equal it out, but then what about the back, it leans just as much. Any way to fix the back?? Screw it all, I just wanna go lower now! That would be a great winter project!

·
Registered
610 Posts
dont cut those coils, buy the spacer. its not like when you put it in you're negating the drop you just got, it raises it all of the 1/2 inch you need to even it all out. i just had the same problem as this guy, but i have a 5inch front drop and my tires rub on the drivers side bc of the lean

·
Right On!!!!
1,967 Posts
if the spacer will correct the "front lean" as it will...What is the correct fix for the rear lean? The back drivers side of my truck is every bit of an inch lower than the right rear corner..

·
Registered
301 Posts
I sure would like to see a valid explanation for this problem, I know it does not happen on every S10, as I lowered several that dont lean at all, including my 96 with a 4/4 belltech drop, it is dead on level with no spacers, and yes, it has a gas tank. Does Belltech have an answer?, as I see this question a lot on several forums. Why dont all S10,s lean after lowering? I know it is important to locate the coils with one drain hole covered in the lower A-frame, and one open, also the coil must locatewith the flatter end up. I can see that if this was not correct, the truck will lean, but why is the lean almost always low on the left?? I have seen one fix that works, shorten the tube link on the stabilizer bar on the high side about an inch. The rear can be fixed by cutting the block down on the low side.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
thats why everyone calls it the "chevy lean".. we dont know what causes it.. NO its not the gas tank! Of all the s10s i lowered, i only had one that did not lean. On my truck when i first lowered it, if i would jack the rear of the truck up by the rear axle pumpkin, the truck would sit lower on the driver side by about an 1", but when i jacked it up by the front skid plate bewteen the A arms, the truck would sit pretty level... showing that the lean problem was in the front. the kit i bought for the front was 2" spindles and 2" springs, but after installed, it had a 4" drop on the passenger side, and a 5" drop on the driver side. I cut the passenger side spring by about 1/3 coil, that gave a me nice and even 5" drop in the front... getting an extra 1" for free, didnt bother me at all. after i leveled it out, the truck rode better, handled better, looked better.

·
24HR Reflector Collector
316 Posts
i got the same problem bro. im takin my truck to work tomorrow to look at it and see what causes the problem. i have a 2/3 drop with springs, blocks, and drop shocks. all the parts are from belltech. i think if i cant find anything wrong ima call em up and ask em.(i doubt they would know) and also. does anyone know where my tires can be rubbing in the front?? i think it might be hitting the sway bar when i make sharp turns, but im not sure

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Guys. I checked out this thread because my 96' S-10 is doing the "chevy lean" and I wanted to check into it. Well, I just off the phone with a technician at Belltech. He said it was caused by the frame itself. He said that most GM trucks have a lean, even right off the factory assembly line. He, of course, recommended the spacers to correct the problem. I guess I need to go by some spacers now. Also, I've read a lot about how the new frame on the Colorado is like 3 times stiffer than the ones on our S-10's. Maybe Gm has taken steps to correct this problem.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've had the "chevy lean" for a while now and today, it looks WORSE THAN EVER! I think the Driver side is about 1-2in lower than the pass. I think its because of all the crappy roads where i live and work at.
Now, i want the opposite of what ya'll want. I want the DR. side to be as high as the Pass side. Imma look into the Belltech spacer and sum other alternatives.

·
24HR Reflector Collector
316 Posts
well i took my truck to work, and i fixed the problem. my passenger side spring wasnt seated in properly so i had to take everything apart again and fix the problem.
because my spring wasnt seated properly it cause my driver side rear to sit an inch lower than the passenger side rear. cause of weight transfer and all that shyt. but the problem is fixed and my truck sits nice and level all around.

·
24HR Reflector Collector
316 Posts
so rollinfast, dont go cutting your coils. beings your truck didnt lean before the drop id take apart your side thats sitting higher because your spring might not be seated properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts