S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Visionary
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peps, this is what I got done on my day off this week. Rounded out the rear corners of the bed with steel and covered with everyones favorite, bondo!

·
The Visionary
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the props. Right now I'am driving it around as a walk through in the traditional sense, using a solid sided cap to cover the bed.
As soon as I get my hands on a extended cab's roof area, I will be fabricating a removable top for my ride. To answer your question, yes it will always have that hole cut through the bed, otherwise my big azz wouldn't fit in it. I'am 6'3" 350lbs.

P.S. I posted a photo-chopped pic of how my custom top will look once finished. It's in the photoshop forum.

·
LS ONE
2,142 Posts
nicoloyd said:
Thanks for all the props. Right now I'am driving it around as a walk through in the traditional sense, using a solid sided cap to cover the bed.
As soon as I get my hands on a extended cab's roof area, I will be fabricating a removable top for my ride. To answer your question, yes it will always have that hole cut through the bed, otherwise my big azz wouldn't fit in it. I'am 6'3" 350lbs.

P.S. I posted a photo-chopped pic of how my custom top will look once finished. It's in the photoshop forum.
Great inovation, I always wondered how you big guys drove S10s, now I know. One question though, won't the vibes from the road eventually crack the seam between the cab and the box? Did you tack weld the nuts/bolts so they won't back out, or safety wire or....

·
The Visionary
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'am really not sure of what seam you are refering to blackzq8stepside, the bed is just bolted up to the cab with a rubber seal in between. I have strengthened the bedsides with steel bracing. If you are refering to the removable top, check my post in "Photoshop" forum to see more details. Thnks.

·
LS ONE
2,142 Posts
nicoloyd said:
I'am really not sure of what seam you are refering to blackzq8stepside, the bed is just bolted up to the cab with a rubber seal in between. I have strengthened the bedsides with steel bracing. If you are refering to the removable top, check my post in "Photoshop" forum to see more details. Thnks.
I kind of assumed your cab and bed were molded together, bolted, and then filled in, my mistake.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
nice work. why not make the entire top removable? looks a little weird with no back window like that but ive seen some convertible s10s that look nice.

·
The Visionary
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe you missed where I said I was frabricating a new removable top out of an ex-cab's roof. Later..Nic

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
my bad im retarded

·
Color Changin Member
1,375 Posts
Did you weld the steel in at all or is it just a TON of filler. If its just filler, enjoy it while it lasts because it will crack out sooooon.

·
The Visionary
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will be enjoying it for a long time to come. The whole reason I did it was because it was cracking before when it was just a 90 degree angle in the corners. So I took it back down to the metal, welded in a 90 degree piece of steel from a book shelf type bracket. Then I took a strip of sheet metal pressed it into the corner to make the curve and welded it in. Finally I cut another piece of sheet metal to cover the top of the curve and it was welded in also, then "topped with bondo", like I said in my first post. Nic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts