S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres my problem i have changed my starter 2 times already and this starter is going out on me again. This would make it my third in one year what can cause my truck to mess it up so often???

But on the other hand Im a pro when it come's to changing starter's now lol

·
Moving Violationz NE Member
354 Posts
what year is your vehicle

K

·
0 Posts
are you sure it is your starter and not something like a starter relay?...b.c when relays go bad they are sometimes sensitive to temprature,and knocking around and all..i had a a/c clutch relay do me that way....it could also be your ignition switch...or that ignition switch circuit....it might not be sending enought power to the starter solenoid to engage it...and also a weak battery or loose battery connections will cause that condition also...i have seen it a million times...but yea...i would start with the batter connections make sure they are tight and not corroded. then start checking wiriing and stuff...but i hop this helps.

also i have seen that condition before on aftermarket starters,sooo if you are runnin cheap stuff...maybe you want to try a GM Starter...
but like i said hope it helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 99 2.2 won't start this a.m. It's got plenty of battery, but won't crank when the key is turned. It never even started dragging or turning slower. Perhaps it's symptomatic...?

GM starter is $275 plus labor. ouch. I bought the truck 3 days ago.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
A few years back I had to replace the starter in my taco and I went to a local (non-national) auto parts store. I replaced that damn starter 3 times under warranty and when it let go a 4th time I told the guy that I wanted a refund...after *****ing back and forth with the guy he agreed to get me a starter from another rewind shop...poped that sucker in and it lasted until I sold the truck a few years later.

So if you bought a non-GM starter go back to where you bought it and ask them if they have access to starters from another rewind shop.....some shops just can't get ti right!

Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts