S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
LT1 SS Pimp
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in the title, I started an LT1 swap in my 95 ss. My transmission started to slip a while back and instead of buying/rebuilding one, I decided to swap it out along with the 4.3! I never can keep things simple. :dunno:

Keep in mind there won't be many updates until the weekends because my SS is at a buddies shop about 1 1/2 hours away from me.

Here's my 95 in stock form....

Here's what's going in the SS... I've taken the AC compressor off (it'll go back on). It's an LT1 out of a 93 corvette (speed density w00t!) and 4L60 (not e) transmission.

Here's the SS after this weekend... :(

:eek: Look at that wiring mess!

I've gotten to the point where I can finally start test fitting it. The transmission tunnel has been beaten up a little as well as the firewall. The motor and frame mounts are on and knock sensors relocated. The A/C box has been cut as well (didn't take any pics of that). The wiring harness from the LT1 is on the engine but that's it. I have huge wiring challenges ahead.

I plan on placing the engine as far back as possible. I'm also placing the radiator in the forward position and keeping the AC :eek: I'm using the modine vette radiator and I'm searching for a smaller condensor to fit.

I'll update everything as I go!

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
Bad Ass good luck!! I want to see some track times this spring :)

·
Blazin'
471 Posts
Sweetness!!
Get as many pics as possible.

·
LT1 SS Pimp
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the positive replies! This has been something I've wanted to do from the day i bought it (April '95). I'm finally in a position where I have the money, time, and other resources needed to do it. Now if I can just find the patience! I'm shooting for mid to late January to have it completed. If not, oh well. I get to drive an 81 vette in the meantime :D

I'll update everything as I can!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Been wanting to build the "truck Chevrolet wouldn't" myself. Intesting project. Don't forget the passkey deal, need the module and the key impedence from the donor car to bypass it so the injectors will pulse. Nice thing about the Vette setup is you don't have to cut the big notch in the frame for the AC compressor. good luck and keep posting pictures. Sharp truck too!

·
LT1 SS Pimp
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly right regarding the frame notching....When I decided I was doing the swap, I held out until I found a vette LT1. Not to mention the vette accessories look cleaner than the f-body's (My opinion only).

With regards to the VATS/passkey, I had a custom tune that disabled it in the computer. This way i don't have to worry about that mess. Also included in that tune were the following...
Speed Density Tuning 93 vette LT1
- First Stage Fans (low speed) - 188 degrees
- Second Stage Fans (high speed) - 197 degrees
- Rev Limiter - 6000RPM (I should've had it bumped up to 6300)
- Speed Limiter - 255mph :eek:
- Corrected WOT Fuel Enrichment for more power (I wished he'd have left more detail on this one)
- Disabled VATS, EGR, and AIR.

Also, I made a huge decision yesterday regarding wiring. After researching and researching both shop manuals (LT1 and my SS), I found out I'd have to use both computers to run everything I need. That made me realize it might be in my best interest to have a custom harness made. I made the decision to buy a harness from 97 350 SS (Jared). This will make my life a lot easier! Can't wait for it!

I'm sorry I don't have any updated pictures. I didn't make the trip to work on the truck last weekend due to the holidays. I'll head down this weekend where I can fit the engine and tranny and see if my '02 z28 e fans will fit. The engine mounts are on, the firewall beat up, and airbox cut. I'll pull the steering shaft and test fit the engine and headers. After that, all i need is the harness and it's time to turn the key!!!! I'll have updates this Sunday.

Also, thanks for compliments on the truck. I've always made it a point to take care of her. It also helps that I'm the only owner. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
it will be nice and hope it turns out for the best. Where did you get your engine though and where did you go through to get the custom tune?

·
Banned
17,375 Posts
I take it that the harness you bought from 97 350 SS custom to accomodate both computers?

·
LT1 SS Pimp
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eric85 said:
it will be nice and hope it turns out for the best. Where did you get your engine though and where did you go through to get the custom tune?
thanks, I bought the engine through "fparts" on ebay. I don't know if you've checked them out, but they sell all kinds of f-body and corvette engines. LS1s, LT1s, L98s, etc... I paid a "premium" for the engine combo but I got free shipping out of it. I'm sure I could have done it a lot cheaper through a wrecking yard. Just an FYI, these guys are great to deal with. I was very happy with the whole transaction.

As far as the tune, I spend alot of time on camaroz28.com. There's a guy named "madwolf" who does mail order tunes. He's got a website, www.madz28.com and has a lot of positive feedback. It only cost me 80 bux for the tune and I got it with free shipping too. He was cool to deal with too.

·
LT1 SS Pimp
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lame SS said:
I take it that the harness you bought from 97 350 SS custom to accomodate both computers?
It should be. From the way he was talking it'll be one harness with part of it plugged into the engine and LT1 ecm, and another part plugged into guages, abs, speedo, and the truck computer.

He received my harness today (he has to use the four connectors that plug into the LT1 ecm because they don't make them anymore) and said he should have everything out by Friday or next Monday! Can't wait!

BTW, I've been saying his name wrong, it's 97 SS 350. Sorry jared! lol

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
yea i was going to order an engine from them. I am going with the f body lt1 though. Do you mind telling me whatcha paid for the engine and tranny combo? Also did you get the wiring and ecu along with it?

Yea i spend alot of time over at cz28.com also. About as much time as i do here. Madwolf is a great guy and i have talked with him on several occasions. 80 bucks isnt bad at all. What all is he doing for you?

·
LT1 SS Pimp
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SuperSS27 said:
I wonder how his project is going...

My fault for not keeping up with the updates... Here's where I am today (no pics, sorry :()

First, I received my wiring harness from Jared. All I can say is wow! That guy knows what he's doing! Harness looks great!

Next, I test fit the engine and to my suprise, it fit. I honestly don't think any beating is needed to get it to fit (except maybe the lip where the cab and transmission tunnel meet). I say this because I beat mine up a little more than I needed to. The only problem I had was the oil pan off the corvette wouldn't work. I had to go buy one off an LT1 fbody. It fits great. This caused me to run into another problem. The pickup tube for the fbody pan wouldn't fit the corvette pump. Sooo, I had to buy a new oil pump and pickup...That finally came in on Monday. This means I can place the engine in for good this weekend!

I also found out the '02 f-body efans will not fit. Those freaking things have HUGE motors on them and even if I put the radiator in the forward position, it wouldn't come close. I had to order some Flex a lite 220s which came in on Monday as well.

Lastly, I went the cheap route and ordered the axel set-back plates from JTR. This way I can set the engine as far back as possible. I eventually will get the drive shaft shortened but this will do in the meantime.

With everything that came in (which was everything I needed to fit the engine permanately), I will have the engine placed in it's new home this weekend! If all goes well, the engine will be fired this weekend (with open headers :rock: ) The only thing that will keep me from driving it will be the fact I have to fab up a custom transmission bracket to work with the corvette tailshaft housing and my transmission crossmember. Either way, things are getting REALLY close to being finished!

I promise, promise, promise I'll have pictures from this weekend!

·
LT1 SS Pimp
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
InSiDiOusSS said:
awsome job so far, keep up the good work. Cant wait to see some dyno #s and ET times. :thumbup:
Thanks! Hell, one of these days you'll probably see me make a couple of passes down at Penwell. I'll have to let you know once race season is up and running. We probably won't make many trips there but me and a buddy of mine with a turbo'd mustang are planning to go a couple of times. We know quite a few people from that area that are racing foo's. :burnout:

·
Registered
745 Posts
yup theres alot of f body and mustang racing here (really competitve). We are getting a new track (desert thunder) between odessa and midland its a 1/8 mile. looks like theres gunna be some chevy vs. ford vs. mopar, you should show up. i would love to see ur ss

1 - 20 of 26 Posts