S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Grrr
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has these...do your lower plates bend where the lower coilover mount is? Its kind of frightening.

·
murse
13,200 Posts
pics? someone could help u real good if you showed us wut yer talkin about. or maybe not. ya never know.

·
Grrr
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know other people have em on the board, if they do, theyd know. im at work so pics are out of the question. Im more curious then anything else.

·
murse
13,200 Posts
ahhhh...well i dont run em so i couldnt help you. i do know that if you find they are ruined, i have had 0 problem with my DJM control arms if you need a reference. good luck tho man!

·
Canyon Carver
2,855 Posts
I was considering buying a set of those. I hadn't heard of any complaints until now. The lower plate mounting system did bother me a little, but I figured as long as nothing was allowed to bottom out, there wouldn't be enough stress on it.

What kind of set-up do you have in front?

Does your coil-over ever bottom out or did you install new bumpstops?

How thick is the steel on that lower bucket where the bottom of the coil-over attaches?

If you could tell me everything you know about the situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Grrr
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok um the truck is a 2000 4.3 manual. i got the qa-1 coilover kit with coils for "big block" cuz i wanted a higher spring rate. i keep it pretty low but i have 2" spindles and overall i have like a 3.5" drop up front. i have to keep the damping high on the shocks so idont bottom out cuz i didnt get the new bumpstops in yet (tip: u cant mount them on the control arms cuz theyre tubular and i question the strength if u drill holes...so i am gonna mouint them to the frame where the stock ones contacted...the tip is do it BEFORE you mount the new arms or else u dont have room to drill there) when it bottoms our now the tires hit the back of the inner fender. The bend is slight, and they are steel, so i guess its ok...steel is resillient...i didnt wanna drop the extra coin on cromemoly...but thats bendy too actually, just lighter and maybe a lil stiffer. the bottom plate seems to be 3/8" Um...make sure u have a rubber mallet cuz getting the arms into the frame mounts is a bitch...it needs some help getting in. The bushings have grease fittings which is nice but make sure u order a tube of their poly bushing grease cuz regular grease is bad on those bushings. and tehy SQUEAK if u dont lube em. Definitley get em tho, the turn in is so much sharper and high speed stabiulity is better. Ill get ya pics over the weekend...everyone loves pics.

·
Canyon Carver
2,855 Posts
Thank you for the info. I was planning on getting the chrome-moly version(for weight reduction) with the Delrin bushings. I'm going to use a Shockwave with them so I have a couple different options on shock length. I'll just be sure to get the right length and mount the bumpstops to the frame like you said.

I also just noticed on their website that the lower mounting pate is 7 gauge steel, so it's about 3/16".

·
Grrr
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it would be very easy to brace...and someone on the board said theyre up for custom stuff so why not inquire...and if they do it im gonna see if theyll do it to mine and replace my mounting plate....but at the same time....its only bowed a little and seems to have stopped...theyre the professionals...maybe they expect it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts