S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help me i have a beefed up 350 in my 1988 s-10 and i cant get the tires to grab i have stock rims what kinda tires should i use ? should i try traction bars? or something else someone let me kno i was thinkin about using a 9" ford rearend maybee be heavyer? in the ass tell me what i should do please i have t350 3speed with a rv towing kit. it would be great it someone could tel me what gear is best adn what to do about a rearend that will hold up 2 a beatin
thanks alot for chedkin my post i look forward to your e-mail

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Try putting 8 or 10 of you fattest friends in the very back of the bed. That should hold the rear down. :)

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Rick your bad....LOL

I used to run Mickey Thompson Sportsman I's but I dont think they make them anymore....The B.F.Goodrich Drag radials are Awesome. As far as gears go..3.73 in the truck will probably be as much as you want to go. Depending on the horsepower the stock rear if freshened up will more than be enough. As long as you dont drive like an a-hole all the time.....9" to expsensive unless your over 400 horse...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey rick

maybee you could get some of your ex girfriends and your mom to sit back there for me. e-mail me any info on crateing those big hogs to michigan i could use them get back with me asap.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blaze

thanks for the info these tires do they have tread or are they smooth like slicks and i have a 3.73 gear out of a 10 bolt camero rearend can i put the gear in my 10 bolt truck ???????

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Check the part numbers on the gears against the part number for your truck...if they are the same part number then your in the mix!

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
hire a cement truck and have him back up to your bed....say "Fill Her UP" and WAAALLLAAA!!! Instant Traction!

but for real..if you do ever get traction...let me know what you did to get it..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grip&tires

if anyone doesnt have anything helpful 2 say or u cant help me dont bother replying cause im tired of checkin my e-mails cause you guys dont have anything better to do thanks

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
:cry: Well Mr. Pissy pants with an attitude like that your not gonna get any help.......So there.....:bah: :thumbup:

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Don't get your lacey panties in a bunch. It's a truck and most trucks can't hook. If ya really want traction move the motor to the bed and get a 2" drive shaft.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
I Know....Narrow the rear so you can run 31x18.5 Eagles and than you wont have to worry. Of course the motor wont be able to turn over from an idle but your traction problems would be solved.......

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Second thought......Take body off truck....put on surplus tank chassis...no traction problems and you can be seen on tnn on sat nights...lol:thumbup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's what has me confused right away. You put a 350CID engine in an S-10 truck, but you can't figure out what tires to put on the thing? I'm no real tire professional. But with that much HP you should be looking for a tire with alot of sidewall. And as wide as you can go without getting rediculous.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
I guy that lived around the corner from me put a double turbo 350 in a Datsun pickup. He narrowed the frame and put these huge M/T's on the thing. It was a great burnout machine but he could never get it to hook up in a launch. Worse yet, the thing wouldn't turn cause of all the weight on front.

You know, I love my truck but if I wanted to be a real competitor out on the street I'd pick a different platform to build. I'd rather see some some pro-solo or autocross stuff and lets face it...our trucks look more like road racers than top fuel funny cars!

:soap: I'll step down now!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Put on some BFG Street legal drag slicks, they have a slick pattern in the center and a tread on the outside edge. Get these in a 255 or 275 size and get some caltrac or competition engineering bars designed specifically for the S-10. They have a telescoping end on them that allow for adjustibility. i have heard they are the closest thing to a 4 link set-up and they do real well for traction. I am thinking about putting these on my truck when I get done. The only thing bad is they cost like $320 for a pair.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Buy my old smogger 305....noooo problems with traction there!! couldnt spin the tires in gravel if u tried.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
smogger

negitive on the smogger im tyte with the 202 160 i have in my 4 bolt 350 that i can turn anwhere so take your smogg motor and well u kno what u can do with it now dont u o and about your girfriend:hitit: :monkey:

·
S10 on NUTS
17 Posts
if the gears you have come out of a pre 82 camaro they wont fit in your truck 10 bolt. 81 and older have the 8.5 ring gear versus the 7 1/2 or 7 5/8 rear that came in s trucks and 82-up camaros. well, if you drive the truck all the time the bfg's wouldnt last a long time. you could mount them on different rims and just use them when u want to race. unless you have plenty of money. i'm using an 8.5 10 bolt from a 78 trans am.cost me $250 to narrow it. i've heard caltracs are good, they would definately help out. maybe relocate the battery to the bed over the rearend toward the passenger side. a friend of mine has the same rearend as mine with slicks running a 406. he pulled the very bottom leaf spring out both sides and put on traction bars and thats working good for him. i'm planning on using the bfg's and some good traction bars on mine and hope that works.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Dont' bother with the 3.73 gears, it will make your traction problems worse. What gears do you have now? I have 3.08 and still have slight traction problems, but nowhere as bad as when I had the 3.73. A few times I tried pulling out in front of cars and would crap my pants because I'd just be burning out instead of accelerating.

A few things to do; Definately get bigger tires. Level the truck or drop the rear more so more weight is distributed to the rear. When the truck is higher in the rear, most of the weight is planted on the front tires. You could remove one of the leaf springs so that the springs are a little softer and use traction bars. This will help plant the tires.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts