S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad bought this truck 10 years and it was in decent condition with under 100k miles. It was a 99 Chevy s10 2wd 2.2 4 cylinder 5 speed truck. Originally it was a dark blue with a step side bed. He drove it for work for years until it started to rot on the can corners and bed started to rust pretty badly, and front end was backed into so he picked up a used non step side bed and put it on, and new fenders and hood, and grille and then fixed the cab corners and primered it flat black and left it that way. A few years later it started having mechanical issues and the motor went. So we sourced a used 2.2 from the junk yard and cleaned it up and painted it all nice and regasketed it and put it in and it ran great. The motor lasted a few years and oil pump failed and locked up the motor so we ended up buying a brand new gm replacement 2.2 and putting it in, and at the time the synchros were going bad on the trans so we also bought a gm replacement transmission and put them on it which are now around 10k miles. Well he drove it for about another year before coming home from work one morning after working 16 hours and fell asleep at the wheel and hitna guard rail destroying the driver side of the truck, so he had it towed home, parked it and didn't drive it for 2 years. Well i went over a few months ago and we were talking about the truck and all the memories with it and he handed me the keys and told me to take the truck home. Well I put a new battery in it aired up the tires, checked the brakes and other odds n ends and got it running and drove it home. Well on the journey the hood blew open and smashed the windshield, as the hood latch failed from the accident. Well I got it home n went through it n started working on it. I haven't gotten real far with it but it's been a project since it's gotten home.
Pics from before i brought it home

Pic from when I first got it home
IMG_20191012_222555434.jpg

got a set of wheels for it but took them off for the winter

Changed the driver's door and fenders and painted the wheels

Picked up a hood for $10 from a guy driving down the street with a scrap s10 on a trailer

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started painting the front clip
Trucks getting painted matte black
IMG_20191114_145829460.jpg

Also installed a set of hood pins with the new hood

·
Old Fart
3,096 Posts
Welcome and good for you for saving the family memories, just too bad you have to fight all that rust. I'm so happy I don't live in the rust belt. 😎

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well all the parts are from Georgia and rust free. I have a cab also, but when I change the cab I'm pulling the entire body ofd and painting the frame and everything.

·
Old Fart
3,096 Posts
I can't tell what state you are in from the plate, where are you?

·
Old Fart
3,096 Posts
All available on eBay. If it doesn't go, chrome it! 🤣

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is my plan to paint the s10. I'm doing matte black with jack daniels logo's on the doors and side of the bed, and some old school pin striping down the sides, and eventually need to find some Corvette rally wheels, white wall tires and lower it 2" in front and 3" in the rear and putting traction bars under it, and want to find a chrome rear bumper, and shave the tail gate and that's about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right now I have fenders, hood, doors, cab that needs minor repairs, and a solid bed for it. I still need a core support, and grille, head lights, turn signal lenses, a front bumper, a tail gate, and a rear bumper.

Plan to take the hole body off this spring and clean and paint the frame gloss black, do 3" drop leafs in the rear, swap the rear end out for a blazer rear end, with 3:73 gears, g80 locker (internals from and disc brakes and add a rear sway bar and drop shocks, front ends going to get 2" drop spindles and new cross drilled slotted rotors and steel braided caliper hoses and a new cooper brake lines.

Once the exterior is all done I plan to find new black interior and do a small audio system (nothing special a single 8" with some highs and a highs amp) and some billet accents, like billet window cranks, billet rear view mirror, billet steering wheel and hub adapter, foot print gas pedal, and billet brake and clutch pedal cover. I plan to have my full bench seat I put in my truck reupholstered to match the interior, I want to do a custom head liner, im unsure what I want to do as far as the head liner because I do want to do a custom head liner.

Engine l am sticking with my 2.2 5 speed for the time being until the rest of the truck is 100% the way I want it then maybe I'll do a Chevy small block swap. Nothing special probably a stock Jasper 350 with some bolt ons a small cam, and EFI just want it to have decent exhaust note, and a need to get a t5 transmission so I can retain the manual trans

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really?? I had a Jasper motor in my old s10 n never had any issues with it but I guess bring it was brand new I wouldn't.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't wait to get my other truck finished so i can really start tearing into the s10 n getting it done. Unfortunately I'm doing wiring on my other project being it caught on fire. Distributor wasn't tight, it jumped back fired out the carb n caught some stuff on fire so I been cleaning and rewiring and repairing the fire damage and etc. On my other truck

·
time to get cereal
2,317 Posts
Those lights may look cool to you but they will yellow quickly and not be very good to actually see at night with.

·
Old Fart
3,096 Posts
I wasn't sure if the grill is stock with inserts it if it's actually an aftermarket grille
Stock style with inserts but the ones on eBay are less money than from other places. you can find grill, inserts, and chrome bumper there. personally I think these turn signals look better than the ones you pictured.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts