S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I figured I'd post my build log on here since it started out as an S10.
It's an 1987 S10 frame............but with a 1982 Olds Firenza shell, with the remainder of 87 cavalier bodyparts.
I started this project about two years ago just to be different and have some fun. It's taken a lot of work, and it's going to take some more work but I figured I'd post it on here for some feedback.

Out with the crappy 7.5!

and the 81 camaro 8.5 being narrowed!

got a picture of the girlfriend with it haha.

Right now, we've just been priming and blocking the car. I'm hoping to get it painted within the next month. The motor is currently a 305 just to get the bugs worked out of the car once it's drivable, but we're either building a 383 or a 406 for it when funds are present. It's up in the air if it's going to be a 700r-4 or a t5 5-speed. Right now I have a built 700r-4 in it, but I really want to run it as a standard. We just ordered new axles and 30 spline side gears for the posi so I have to figure out what I'm using so I can get the driveshaft cut and not have to worry about touching the drivetrain again for a while.
Going to be a fun little street machine!

Thanks for looking.
Any feedback would be nice, or questions.

·
Interpretive Rides
727 Posts
Wow excelent work! gunna be a neat little drag car thats for sure! Keep the updates coming!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been reading a bunch of different projects on this site, so I figured I'd post a small update...
I ran into some problems with the rearend.
had to re-order axles and c-clip eliminators. and had to buy a whole new posi unit for 30 spline.
We've been doing basically nothing but bodywork for the past little bit(when there's time too. So many unexpected stuff has come up).
One of the unexpected things that popped up happened to be my daily driver ran into a few mishaps.So I figured I'd take a few pictures of my two cavaliers side by side while they were both in the garage. My hatch is jacked up in the bit, but you can still see the difference between stock height and dropped in front. So heres a few pictures!

Slowly but surely, progress is getting done on the car. Soon there will be a nice fresh coat of paint on this so it can really get pieced together.

(Here's a really old picture of my hatch and nova with my fathers 55. Just for fun. )

·
ELTC
8,391 Posts
really cool project you have here. ill be checking back for updates man :tup:

·
layed_sdime
858 Posts
This thing is dope!!! I will be watching this build

·
King of Cupcakes
6 Posts
kick ass! *drools* Z24.. i had a 91 3.1/5speed.. that thing rocked! as long as i could keep the front tires from spinning. how much did you shorten the S10 frame?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Almost on the ground.
..Almost...

Brand new Bear's axles, and 30 spline posi with 3.73s.
Just need new shims and a cover! The C-clip eliminators are installed as well.
Soon to be mobile + able to be painted!

Also, We shortened the frame 1", which was a regret because now we have to cut the wheel wells out. Should of kept it the same haha.
however, we narrowed the rearend 12" haha.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well. I'm almost done with the body.
I just spent the past two days straight doing nothing but spot putty + sanding, so I could put on another coat of high-build primer.
I also rolled the fenders with a hair-dryer and baseball bat. Ghetto way of doing it but no warpage + it worked excellent!
Also got the rearend together, and put it on the ground to see how it looks! enjoy.

Paint soon!

Only body modifications I did to the exterior would be:
Shaved antenna, Shaved emblems, Shaved gas cover, Got rid of rear hatch wiper, rolled fender + quarter lips,z24 kit, along with the cowl hood.

Only thing I realised I have to still do to the body that's bad is weld up a couple holes on the driver's door for the side mirror, since I'm using a different style.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some more progress done!
Getting fed up waiting on the painter, so we painted the jams just to help speed things up, and make their job easier.
Ordered a new windshield, and tinting the hatch glass tomorrow.
Also getting the guy that's going to certify the car to come look at it friday to see if he's interested in wiring it.
Things are moving right along!

Don't mind the overspray. The car needs to get sanded again anyways haha.
Just wanted to get paint on certain area's so we can put the car together so we don't have to paint it in pieces. Enjoy. ;)!

42,181 Posts
I'm kind of partial to the Olds cosmetics but it's a kick ass project none the less. Those cars aren't easy to find period let alone in nice shape like that. GM should have built them front engine rear drive to begin with.

Is the girl legal? lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys.

so, progress has been slow. but I finally got the sideskirts on and put the car on the ground.
Instead of paint next, we're going to get the wiring done.(don't want to ruin that beautiful paint by leaning over doing EVERYTHING.)
So, the car gets shipped off in a week and a half to get the wiring done!
When it's gone, I'm going to clean up all the interior peices, and paint my trim peices that I've gathered for it.
I've had to get my rear wheels welded up because of holes drilled for slicks, and still haven't gotten them back.
But enjoy!

Here's it's attempt at the shoe test if any of you know about that haha.

·
ELTC
8,391 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha, well she's 19 so she's legal

I finally found out I'm doing my DP2alpha course next month, so I'm going to be working on the hatchback as much as I can before I go for that.
I ordered aftermarket headlights + some other odds and ends just to help the wiring process get done when it goes to my dad's buddies to get wired.
Finally painted the instrument cluster and another dash piece I forgot about.

I got bored, and decided to do something different.
At least it's only my glovebox + air filter. :p

I'm still up in the air about a motor for this though.
I don't know if I should build a 383(got a few good 350, 4 bolt main blocks), a 406(got whole motor torn apart somewheres, but 400's are prone to cracking), a 6.0 out of a truck(don't know newer motors too well), or what.
I also think with the money I'm going to make from my DP2a's, I just might look for a T-56... I need a decent tranny for this. The 5-speed I was going to stick in it just won't hold up to the power it's going to be putting out(eventually. ;) ).
Currently in the car right now, just to get some bugs worked out of it, is a built 700r-4.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts