S-10 Forum banner

My Plan Thus Far

622 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  manbearpig 
#1 ·
Alright guys, my first post. After lurking the forum daily for a few weeks straight, I think I know how I want to modify my suspension.

The background is that currently I have a 95 S10, 2.2L, 5 speed, completely stock. This is no longer my daily driver and I finally have some funds saved up to put some money into it. I'm kinda going for a canyon/autox build although it will realistically never see an autox course, just canyons. Nothing too serious, just for fun. I know that practically every suspension question has been beaten over the head multiple times but I just need some confirmation if you guys don't mind.

For the front end:
2 in" Loweing DJM Coils
Belltech Street Performance Shocks
Speedway Upper Control Arms (two right sides)
Proforged Tall Upper and Tall Lower Ball Joints
(eventually) Front 2wd Blazer Sway Bar (33mm) (Slightly worried about understeer?)
(eventually) Energy Suspension Polyurethane Sway Bar and End Link Bushings
and then if I need to, I'll either shorten the end links or buy shorter ones.

For the rear end:
3" Lowering Belltech Leaf Springs
Belltech Street Performance Shocks
Replacement Rubber Leaf Spring Bushings, might go polyurethane later but I'm gonna wait and see
(eventually) Belltech Rear Sway bar (or Xtreme or Blazer depending on classifieds/ebay/junkyard etc.)
(eventually) Lakewood Traction Bars or any other form of traction control (if necessary?) Calverts and Competition Engineering seem a little too expensive for what I'm looking for at the moment but if it comes down to it I'm willing to drop that money.

Wheels and Tires:
16x8 255.50.16 (still debating 235 or 255, I think the 255's would look and drive better though.)
I have absolutely no idea what brand to go for, need to research it more. Momo's caught my eyes though.

Alignment Specs
-1* Camber, +5.5* Caster, 1/16" Toe in (maybe -0.5* Camber? Not too sure, still need to research that as well, don't want to get ahead of myself.)

So that's what I have so far, let me know if it sounds right or if I have no idea what I'm doing. I went from not knowing a single thing about suspension mods (still don't know much) to having, what I feel, a decent/moderate set up in mind, thanks to this forum. I appreciate the time and if you're reading this, I've probably gotten some info from you at some point so thank you. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, please feel free. I'm still learning so anything is appreciated.
Thanks again guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I wouldn't run 2" lowering springs. I run the factory ZQ8 1.5" drop springs and wouldn't want less suspension travel than that. It's significantly less travel than a stock height spring. You're better off just doing spindles if you want a 2" drop. The factory Bilstein shocks are monotubes and much better than the twin tube belltechs.

The speedway control arms don't have any kind of bushing, which I would personally stay away from. Delrin or Del-a-lum is the way to go. More expensive but worth it.

Unless you lighten up the front of the truck, you're going to have understeer. I'm down a ton of weight in the front (no ac/ps, rack&pinion steering, efan, modified the accessory bracket, tubular upper/lower arms, etc.), and mine is starting to feel more neutral (with 29mm front bar).

17" wheels are going to be easier to find good performance tires for. I've got 245/45r17 and 275/40r17 in rear.

#3 ·
Do you run the srock ZQ8 leafs as well for a 1.5" drop in the rear? I've heard that about the Billsteins, they're definitely an option and I'll research them more.
That makes sense about the control amrs for sure. Didn't think about the speedways not having bushings, so thank you.
Also had no idea about it being easier to find tires for 17". Are they just more common?

#4 ·
No, I have 4" leafs and 2" blocks. I have roughly a 5/6" drop.

Good performance tires are all becoming lower profile. It's getting hard to find them above 45 series tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.