S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, first off I'm a Jeep guy. I own a 86 Jeep CJ7, lifted, running 31x10s, 304 V8, 400 hp, great offroad toy. Jeep picture is at the bottom of this post since my major question is regarding my S-10. I would like to turn my new S-10 into a worthy off-road machine as well, while keeping it as my daily driver, so with that said, what do you guys recommend?

I'm picking it up tomorrow. Paid $5900. The main reason for the truck is that I'll be remodelling my bathroom, kitchen and finishing off my basement and garage in the next year and I'll need it to haul stuff. I figure why not make it a wheeling machine too. Jeep is for sale if anyone is interested. Asking $8000, minus stereo.

'99 S-10
71,000 miles
Manual Transmission
5 Speed
Anti-Lock Brakes
Power Locks
Power Steering
Tilt Steering
Power Windows
CD Player
Air Conditioning
Cruise Control
Keyless Entry
Extended Cab

For starters I was thinking 5" Trail Master Lift running at least 32 BFGs Mud Terrains. I would also like some sort of offroad bumper, but not sure what. I'm also pulling the hard tailgate topper and throwing in an airgate and diamond plate storage bin in the bed. Oh, and a LineX spray on bed liner. What else am I missing here?

=====================================

1986 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
304 AMC V8 (12,000 miles on rebuild)
Edelbrock 650 cfm 4 barrel carb
Edelbrock Permormance Intake Manifold
Edelbrock Headers & Valve Covers
Accell Coil
K&N Air Filter
Flowmaster Mufflers
2" Body Lift
31x10" Goodyears
Rancho 5000 shocks
TrailMaster Steering Stabilizer
KC Trail Lights
Diamond Plate Corners Guards
Sony 10 Disc CD/MP3 changer
2 300 watt speaker boxes
Kenwood Amp
3 tops (Bikini, Soft, and Hard)
3 Sets of Doors (Half, Full Soft, and Full Hard)
I've also replaced all the electric with new parts (ignition, ignition module, alternator, starter, wires, coil, and solenoid)

Email me at [email protected] if interested in buying the jeep.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Off Roadin' Member
1,277 Posts
is the S10 you bought 2wd or 4wd? the 5" TM lift only fits 4wd trucks, from that pic it looks like its 2WD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, after some research the TM is only recommended for a 4x4, so it looks like I'll have to use a different lift. I found one for a 2wd for about $200 less.

2wd Lift Kit :: I'll be going with the 5.5".
http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/fabtech_chevy_2wd_6.htm

S10_4x4 thats exactly what I want mine to look like, except with a offroad bumper and diamond plate toolbox. Possibly some tube steps so the wife can get in it. She hated getting in my jeep since I basically have to boost her in it. She's 5' I'm 6'2".

I also have to pull the stereo out of my jeep still too. Its a Sony Xplode 10 disc cd/mp3 changer with Kenwood amp and 300 watt speaker box.

I'm also not looking to get rid of the top since I'll probably drop in back in for winters. Maybe, maybe not, still undecided.

I'm not used to a 2wd, how do they handle offroad? Can any improvements be made to get more HP? Also, I read that the brakes aren't great for this year based on the Consumer Reports review. If I go bigger tires I'm assuming better brakes might be necessary?

So far what I've found I dont like.
- Low HP, my jeep had 400 hp..... :(
- Shift light that keeps popping on.
- No lift.
- 2wd.

Granted the S10 V6, lifted 4wd was $6k more, but I just couldnt justify spending $12k on a truck I'm mostly using for remodeling my house and getting me to and from work.

What I do like.
- Nice looking truck.
- Cab heats up fast.
- Finally have something I can haul sh*t with.
- Great gas mileage, my Jeep got 8 and 12 mpg.

·
Accent, what accent
780 Posts
have a look here . there is an annual get-together in May in NC.
have a look around the site and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
why dont you build up your jeep and leave the wheeling to a 4wd? (keep the s10 for when the jeep breaks)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quite frankly it would kill me to "build up" this jeep. Its damn near impossible to find a CJ7 in mint condition now because of people putting huge tires, v8s, and making rock buggies out of them. Aside from the 2" body lift and 31" tires this jeep is basically stock. It did have a 304 put in it, but those actually came in jeeps so it is pretty much stock. I'd much rather build a truck up since they're a dime a dozen, sell my jeep to pay off some bills and lose the monthly payment. If I could afford to keep it and my credit cards were paid off I wouldnt sell it, but I need the cash.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i just have a ?...why go from an off-road worthy machine as the Jeep and buy a 2wd S-10 and try to make it into as good an off road vehicle as the Jeep? id say keep the S-10 stock, and when you have the money, trade the 2wd for a ZR2, and build that. i just cant see dumping money into a 2wd truck for serious offroading.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
yeah i always thought that if you were gonna build a 2wd then you gotta go all out with it, not just lift it a lil so you can get some bigger tires. this also means $$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My primary reason for buying a truck was for hauling stuff when remodeling my house, not to build and offroad machine. The extra $6k was a factor on the ZR2 as well, and I also only go wheeling/trail riding about 3-4 times a year with my schedule.... I work a lot 60 hours a week, and I have a new baby, and the wife wants me to start remodeling projects this year (fence, bathroom and kitchen). So the extra $6k that could have gone for a ZR2 is going into my house. Plus for the VERY minimal time I would spend wheeling, its easier to do a lift and bigger tires ($2k compared to $6k more for the ZR2 with 4x4). The lift will also give me ground clearance mostly for use in the winter (5-7 months of snow where I live in Michigan, just got 11 inches in the last 24 hours) and for easy trail riding and a 10 acre sandpit by buddy owns, its not like I'm going to be climbing HUGE rocks with it.

Better mileage is nice too; 25 compared to probably 17 with the ZR2. Granted that will go down with bigger tires, but I'll still get 20 mpg I'm guessing.

Thanks for the info on the fabtech. Good to know, always best to ask the guys who've done it before.

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Not to be a dick or anything but with the mods you listed on that jeep you'd be lucky to have 225hp... no way in hell is a 304 gunna put out 400hp with a intake manifold, carb, and headers...

Unless that k&n filter and "performance" valve covers are giving it an extra 200hp... 304 varied from what? 115hp in the last years to 150hp in the earliest years?

So ill go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt and say you had a 150hp stock 304, add say 75hp (MAYBE) with the intake, headers, and a properly tuned carb... I dunno, i dont know much about jeeps but i just dont see it happening.

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
I've also replaced all the electric with new parts (ignition, ignition module, alternator, starter, wires, coil, and solenoid)
I dont get it, you replaced the ignition, ignition module... and this thing has a coil too??? I thought the 304 had a distributer, which would mean there is no ignition module, or also termed "ignition control module (ICM), Ignition control modules are on DIS vehicles...... :wtf:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes it also has a distributor as well. And it does have enough horses to blow the doors off two sports cars off the line. Trust me. This is not a stock 304, it was professionally built. I have the Haynes manual and my 304 setup is exactly like the 1979 304 V8, just with higher end parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts