S-10 Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
557 Posts
When my 98 had it's headlight issues I found that someone had moved some relays around on me. Schematics showed a 5 pin relay on the ground circuit for the high beams and the low beams. I had DRLs and I had both low beams but only one high beam. I knew the bulbs were good with the DRL working, but why not the high beam. I also ruled out the BCM as the high beams only have one relay and it was being commanded on. The only thing left was the ground circuit relay (black 5 pin bugger). It seems that someone was testing a fuel pump relay by swapping relays in the box and didn't realize that the 4 pins are not compatible with the 5 pins. I found a 5 pin in my fuel pump relay slot, and a 4 pin in my high beam ground slot. swapped them over and wow, I have both high beams, and my fuel pump still works!!

OH and the DRLs are dimer than the regular high beams because they use each other as a ground. This is the reason for the 5 pin relay over the 4 pin. The 5 pin relay changes the ground profile for the lights, and the current has to pass through both lights before it finds the ground, this halves the power to the bulbs and thus gives a dimmer light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dome override button
Yes, push the dome override button 4x, the DRL's will turn off and the LED dashboard lights will brighten. Mine is an 02 S10 3-dr 4WD.

p.s. The headlights supposed to stay on as a safety feature the insurance companies like.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts