S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2000 GMC Sonoma SLS 2.2L 5MT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've had my Sonoma for about 3 months now, so I'm still learning little things here and there about the truck.

In my truck, whenever the parking brake is released, the headlights turn on. I know this since the radio dims and the tail lights turn on. I always thought only the S10s have the DRLs which is where the high beams are so I never thought much of it. I was curious so I looked up a GMC Sonoma commercial and, well, here's what they are supposed to look like.

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 7.26.00 PM.png

So can someone confirm the 2000 Sonoma also has DRLs. Could the previous owner have possibly changed a setting or something? I might be in the minority by saying this, but I actually really like how the DRLs look. Probably adds a bit of safety too. Thanks.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,031 Posts
They have DRL's. In fact, the headlight will turn off when the turn signal is used.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I believe 95 was the first year of DRL's in the S10/Sonoma. Basically they are the same truck. However I now see Rhotpursuit beat me.....what he said....

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,031 Posts
I believe 95 was the first year of DRL's in the S10/Sonoma. Basically they are the same truck. However I now see Rhotpursuit beat me.....what he said....
DRL's showed up in '96. This came up the other day.

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
582 Posts
If you have auto headlights the sensor that is not installed correctly, ie under/inside the dash it will think the truck is in the dark and turn the headlights on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have DRL's. In fact, the headlight will turn off when the turn signal is used.
Ok definitely something's not right with mine then. I'll pull off the speaker and see how the sensor's doing. Thank you.

If you have auto headlights the sensor that is not installed correctly, ie under/inside the dash it will think the truck is in the dark and turn the headlights on.
Thanks. Always wondered why the speaker had a black dot in it.

Tomorrow, I will pull off the speaker grill and take a look at it. Is the grill held in by clips or does it just lift out after removing the screws? I bet I'll crack it of there's clips.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,031 Posts
It has screws only. Once they are loose, tilt them ups little bit and slide them out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
We're getting closer.

Before removing the right side speaker grill, I found that the light sensor was freely moving around in the slot. Something wasn't right. After removal, it turns out that someone must have replaced the speaker grill, broke the bracket, and didn't transfer the sensor to the new bracket. Sensor was barely even getting any light at all. So I cleaned the sensor and now it looks better. Connection is sound.

So I started the truck and no dice. Headlights are still on and today has been extra sunny in FL. I even put a flashlight directly on the sensor, nothing.

I looked at the fuse box under the hood and saw there was a relay that was upside down. I broke its plastic casing trying to get it out but, to my surprise, it has 5 pins. It's also a different color. On google, I see that other s10s are the same. I'm going to pick up another relay anyways since this one has burnt contacts. Kinda bummed that I couldn't swap another relay to test it, but I'll buy another one to see if its the problem.

I'll keep updating.
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,031 Posts
When you say your headlights are on, have you checked the tail lights also?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, came back from Autozone and put the new relay in. Still no dice.

Does the LED on the back of my phone work to trigger the light sensor or does it need direct sunlight?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,031 Posts
Possibility the sensor is bad. Who knows since they broke the bracket.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Possibility the sensor is bad. Who knows since they broke the bracket.
Just ordered a new OEM sensor off amazon. Hopefully that fixes the problem. I'll give it a shot tomorrow when it's bright outside and will cancel the amazon order if it works. Lots of reviews on the product page say it fixed the same exact problem I'm having so I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well whaddaya know, they work! Started the day early and headlights still came on. As it got brighter, noticed my dash looked different and I could actually read the odometer clearly. Went out and saw the DRLs for the first time ever! Not sure if it was the relay or not (can't test old one since I broke it), but original sensor seems to be working. Really hope this thread can help someone else out.

Cancelled the amazon order and all is good! Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
did you push the little circle button above the fog light switch? you can toggle the daylights on and off by pushing it in either 3x or 5x

1 - 20 of 22 Posts