S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well i have a '98 S-10, ext cab, V6, 5Spd with the 7.5 open rear end and 3.08 gears.

Question 1: I was looking at getting a posi for it, do i need a 2 series or a 3 series? Every 3 series i look at says 3.23 and numericaly higher gears...

Question 2: Is the 3.08 a good gear for my truck? What gear would make it faster? What gear would give me better gas milage? Is there another gear better than the 3.08 for my truck to get more acceleration and gas milage? What would you do if you had my gear / rear end?
- Mike

·
LT1 Powered
2,467 Posts
Answer 1: Looks like you have already answered you own question.

Answer 2: A numerically lower gear would make it faster (top speed). A numerically higher gear will make it quicker (acceleration).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Navecm said:
Answer 1: Looks like you have already answered you own question.

Answer 2: A numerically lower gear would make it faster (top speed). A numerically higher gear will make it quicker (acceleration).
I know i THINK thats the answer to #1, but i need someone who knows their stuff to comfirm it

As for #2, if i went for a numerically higher gear then my truck would be faster accelerating but the gas milage would go to crap right?
- Mike

·
Registered
237 Posts
thepunkerguy said:
I know i THINK thats the answer to #1, but i need someone who knows their stuff to comfirm it

As for #2, if i went for a numerically higher gear then my truck would be faster accelerating but the gas milage would go to crap right?
- Mike
Yup, higher the gear ratio is lower the gas mileage.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
1. Yes you need a 2 series carrier if you are going to stick with the 3.08's
2. 3.42's would be a nice upgrade, that is what I run in my 4.3/5spd truck. Depending on how you drive you can probably get more gas mileage out of it, I used to be able to pull down 22-23mpg's on the highway with the 3.42's.

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
ive got 3.42's in my 5 speed trucka dn love them

i blew my stock 3.08 rear end and i got a 3.42 posi rear end cheep, good upgrade but i wouldnt go any higher in a 5 speed, doing about 75 im taching almost 3000 rpm prolly about 2850

if i remember correctly the newer 5 speeds have more deserible gear ratios so this shouldnt be a problem

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
tippmann243 said:
ive got 3.42's in my 5 speed trucka dn love them

i blew my stock 3.08 rear end and i got a 3.42 posi rear end cheep, good upgrade but i wouldnt go any higher in a 5 speed, doing about 75 im taching almost 3000 rpm prolly about 2850

if i remember correctly the newer 5 speeds have more deserible gear ratios so this shouldnt be a problem
A little better yes, 3.49 first gear but still I wouldn't really want anything higher the 3.42's in mine, would be shifting too much and 1st gear would become useless!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts