S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fan is going out and I am going to make a trip to the local pull a part to look for a new one. What other vehicles can I look for that will be a direct swap. Oh yeah my truck is a 98.

·
Compliance!
5,151 Posts
have you considered doing an electric fan? since you gotta put a new one in might as well, taurus fans are popular... just a thought

·
Registered
26 Posts
I replaced my old fan with the fan off my 350 3/4 ton, works like a charm! :) As long as it rotates in the fan housing properly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is wobbling and making a knocking sound. Last week when I raised the rpms you could hear the fan really loud. And this week that stopped and it started the knocking sound. If you look at the fan while the motor is running you can see it wobble. And my temps starting getting higher then normal.

·
It's not rocket science!
143 Posts
You don't need to replace the whole fan, just the fan clutch. You can get a new one for around $35. The blade itself should be fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know the fan is part of the problem but I will also check out the water pump. But I can grab the fan and wobble it from the front of the truck to the back a pretty good bit. It is really loose. Thanks for all of your input.

·
Sold :'(
7,555 Posts
If all else is good, and it's definitely the fan/clutch that needs to be replaced, swap it for a fan from a Ford Explorer if you don't want to switch to an electric fan. There's details on this at JTR. <-- (Click and scroll half way down)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked up a severse heavy duty fan clutch yesterday afternoon for $61 after tax. Will let everone know if this fixes the problem after the swap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New fan clutch is installed and seems to have fixed my problems. I will let you guys know if anything changes in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to all who helped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts