S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started with a junk 15" wheel from a toyota corolla. I wanted to practice so I don't ruined a good wheel. I don't have any before pics, but you'll get the idea of what I started with. The first step I had to sand off all the clear coat and silver paint. I used a 3" DA sander starting with 80 grit, then went over that with 180. That was my first mistake. I should have sanded more and worked down to a finer grit, (400 grit). I used a dremel, polishing wheel, and some aluminum polish. It took me about an hour to get this much done. It very time consuming.

Here is what it looked like before and after. You can still see some scratched from using too rough sandpaper. Again it took me about an hour to do this much.

Here is a better shot of the sanding marks. If I would have worked down to 400 grit, it would look alot better.

Some more pics

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
did you use a belt or palm sander? a palm would get rid of those sand lines, and be a lot easier to use

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MuddyS10 said:
did you use a belt or palm sander? a palm would get rid of those sand lines, and be a lot easier to use
I used a D.A. sander. It like a palm sander. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on sandpaper if this wasn't going to work. I'll try a finer grit and then polish it again.

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
loyalty said:
what kind of polish did you use with the dremel?
It is made by Dremel, I forget what they call it. It come with 4 diffrent polishes. I'm sure you can find it anywhere that cares dremels.

·
4,749 Posts
first off, don't sand off the clear coat, get a spray can of gasket remover. spray it on and the stuff bubbles off, you have to do it a few times to get it all. I did it to a stock 95 s-10 wheel, started with like a 600 grit and wet sanded in one uniform pattern.

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
moon509 said:
first off, don't sand off the clear coat, get a spray can of gasket remover. spray it on and the stuff bubbles off, you have to do it a few times to get it all. I did it to a stock 95 s-10 wheel, started with like a 600 grit and wet sanded in one uniform pattern.
did it do any damage to the wheel? I have some paint/gasket remover at work, it said not for use on aluminum.

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Attempt #2

This time I started sanding with 80 grit, then went up with 180, 320, 600, and finished with 1200 grit. The actuall polishing went alot faster. Now the only problem I have is the polishing wheel is leaving little scratches in the aluminum. It turned out very good til it shines in the light. The light shows the tiny scratches. I'm going to try a bigger polishing wheel to see if that helps.

Looks good without the flash on.

But with the flash...

·
4,749 Posts
When I did mine with the gasket remover, it didn't do any damage to the wheel at all, try it on that wheel, it won't matter since its a junk wheel

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
Hey, if you want the buff process to go faster, hop in your 'mobile and head down to the local truckstop. They should have big bars of rouge. Grab some brown, green, and white. Grab some buffing wheels that will fit on a 7" grinder. You can use them on a 4 1/2 grinder, and buff with brown, then put on another wheel and buff with green. Green should leave it looking like it does in the upper pictures, then use a cotton (white) wheel and use the white jewlers rouge. That thing will look like chrome baby!!:D :D

·
14,970 Posts
loweredd said:
Hey, if you want the buff process to go faster, hop in your 'mobile and head down to the local truckstop. They should have big bars of rouge. Grab some brown, green, and white. Grab some buffing wheels that will fit on a 7" grinder. You can use them on a 4 1/2 grinder, and buff with brown, then put on another wheel and buff with green. Green should leave it looking like it does in the upper pictures, then use a cotton (white) wheel and use the white jewlers rouge. That thing will look like chrome baby!!:D :D
:stupid:
that's what i fianlly did to mine.

·
TRUCK FOR SALE!!
519 Posts
what about chrome wheels, whats the best way to shine them up really shiny?

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
I would use 3M chrome polish.

·
TRUCK FOR SALE!!
519 Posts
ok that with what, a polishing wheel or what

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
oh, I would just use a terry cloth rag, (towel) and some elbow grease!

·
TRUCK FOR SALE!!
519 Posts
ok

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
loweredd said:
sounds like a plan. I'm also going to try the gasket remover .

·
4,749 Posts
the gasket remover will get all that paint and clear coat off and you have a better surface to work with. instead of sanding through it all

·
H-D motorsports
654 Posts
I do a lot of polishing on bike parts.
before you start polishing and buffing don't sand off the paint or clear coat, this just scratches up the surface and leave a lot of mess that takes houres to clean up. Go buy some aircraft finish remover (air craft stripper) Walmart sells it and so do most auto parts stores
This will remove the clear coat and not damage the aluminum, then you can go strait to polishing with out sanding.
And don't use them cheap polishes.

Get a few cotton wheels
start with a black bar polishing compound if the surface is lightly scratched.
Then use a brown bar to finish polishing

The buff using a flannel wheel and blue rouge or jewlers rouge

1 - 20 of 20 Posts