S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got two Pyle Blue Waves for subs, and a Lanzar Vibe 240 amp. Not the highest quality stuff, but they were within my price range and they should be plenty for my system. I ought to get some pics too.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
not meant to flame. Pyle = pile of shit. Lanzar is just as bad. they'll be fine in a standard cab, and i doubt he wants to win comp's with them.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
85S10Eric said:
I've got two Pyle Blue Waves for subs, and a Lanzar Vibe 240 amp. Not the highest quality stuff, but they were within my price range and they should be plenty for my system. I ought to get some pics too.
Don't worry about name brands. I was wondering about the quality of a super cheap amp I recently bought. Well, this morning I took a 4x12 speaker cabinet I built with Celestion 16 ohm G-12T 75's (The world standard for guitar cabinets, used in Marshall cabs costing $1,000). I had it wired for a 16 ohm output for an amplifier I modded, so I wired everything in paralell and got a 4 ohm load to 4 12" speakers. (Good thing I have an electric drill for the screws, there are over 30 of them to get the back of the cab off) Well, I bridged two of the four channels in this 1,600 watt amp and hooked it to a 'dead' 12 volt car battery I had on a float charge for almost 7 months, soldered together 1/4" female to amp connections and soldered 1/4" mono to dual rca outputs from my POD PRO to the amp.

Guess what? It hammered those speakers. It was *loud* with my 7 string guitar tuned aeadgbe and the black panel setting in the POD PRO the bass was excellent. The particular amp I bought has a feature that lets you use the amp as a subwoofer amp, or a 'regular' amp, meaning when you hit a switch it enables highs and lows, toggle it the other direction it only enables lows. Not to mention the battery was officially dead and wouldn't hold a charge a few months ago, if I use a capacitor with this amp and 2 12's I will have a complete system for under 150 bucks. And it will sound GOOD.

I can get pretty good speakers from Dalbani with a 91 dB sensitivity rating and a 350 watt power handling capacity w/ poly or aluminum cones for under 20 bucks a piece. As far as I'm concerned, the high end name brand amps are racking up money for their name. I personally couldn't care less if nobody recognizes the name brand of my amp of speakers, you will hear me coming from blocks away. And isn't that the point anyway?

·
12,507 Posts
which is exactly why im getting RE subs, and a Hifonics amp. ill be able to blow away JL, MTX, Pioneer, just about any kind of non-comp level system when i get done.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
which is exactly why im getting RE subs, and a Hifonics amp. ill be able to blow away JL, MTX, Pioneer, just about any kind of non-comp level system when i get done.
Damn right. The bass on those 4 12's was incredible, better than any guitar amp I have. You're one of those metalheads, eh? Ever hear of Chimaira? I ordered the impossibility of reason on monday and it still hasn't come yet, the bastards.

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MuddyS10 said:
not meant to flame. Pyle = pile of shit.
True, I have heard that. Maybe mine are different or something, because I had them hooked to a friend's amp (Alpine V12 MRV-1505) and we punished them for near an hour, they didn't distort or blow out. My friend was so suprised, because they were making about as much noise as his Earthquake Magma 12s with the same amp. I don't know, there are exceptions to everything I guess.

·
12,507 Posts
chimaira!!!!1 holy shit i didnt think anyone else knew of them. ive got all their songs downloaded on my cpu! hell yeah! right now im banging to the new static-x cd.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Some of their mp3's have that guy who says "Chimaira.. the impossibility of reason.. out in stores may" in the middle fo the song, and I couldn't find most of their songs, so I just bought the damn cd.

·
12,507 Posts
yeah, ive got that one, but most of the ones i got off Kazaa are fine.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
That box is WAY too small for 12's. You're only going to have about 4 inches for mounting depth, and you have just over 0.5 ft^3 per sub. You'll probably need more like 5.5 inches for mounting depth and 1 to 1.25 ft^3 for each sub. Sorry man, start redesigning!

Here's a box I made for a 95 S-10 with two 12 inch Pyles. It came out to about 1.1 ft^3 each, but the box was huge. I don't exactly remember dimensions, but I believe it was very close to:
21 inches tall
4 inches deep on top
12 inches deep bottom
Don't remember width, but you can see it steps over under the amp to gain more space.

Partially assembled

Amp cover off

Amp cover on

I built it back in high school, a long time ago (so it seems). It was alright loud, but sounded so horrible. Very cheap subs, and the amp wasn't much better (had to run it 4 ohm stereo, so wattage was low, like 75 rms per sub).

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It should be enough, I got the depth and height dimensions from a pre-made box online that had over 5" mounting depth.

·
12,507 Posts
i with adam728, its not going to be enough.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Your depth is 4 5/8" at the center of the box, and the magnet is going to rest much higher than that at it's furthest point back. If you have a 5 inch diameter magnet the deepest it can be is about 4 1/16 inches, or else it will hit the back wall of the enclosure when mounted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts