S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a dual fan conversion on my 04 Blazer which is the same as the S10 and Sonoma or Jimmy with a 4.3L. I used the relay setup that I posted in LSX swap with high low cooling. Low comes on at 170°F shuts off at 155°F and high speed comes on at 190°F and shuts off at 175°F. I used the eBay aluminum radiator and they work fine. One in my other truck just failed after 5 1/2 years that's a lot better than the plastic radiator that usually fails after a year. Today's test with AC on high and 101°F outside and the engine temp stayed at 192.2°F and that's after 30 minutes of in town stop and go traffic.
Here's what parts I used.
Thermostat switches.
Single Replacement Electric Cooling Fan Thermostat Temperature Engine Sensor Switch
Thread-in bass probe 1/8
Thread-In Brass Probe 1/8
And here's the 12-in fans I used I did not use the eBay ones they are garbage.

Here's some pictures of my install.

Here are some pictures of where I put the relays and where I connected for power for the relays right off the auxiliary stud on the fuse box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks really nice. I now have faith in my pair of 12 inch fans. I don't know why I didn't think of two speed fans. That's a great idea. Have you been using it enough to know if that will always move enough to keep the A/C cool it low speeds? I was about ready to put another fan on my A/C condenser. I have a pair of 12s on the radiator but haven't addressed moving air over the condenser at low speed. My fans almost never run at low speed. I installed a high volume water pump and a higher amp alternator because I also bought Jet Performance power pulleys. I haven't installed the power pulleys yet.
Hopefully this weekend I can peel the radiator out again. I bought the Off-road Design idler arm bracket to upgrade to the 1 ton parts and a ZQ8 box with new hoses and cooler. Now to figure out what to do about the steering shaft. Enough of my yapping. Thanks for sharing and I like the final product. Clean and neat install. Does one fan run at lower temp then the second kits on at high temp? Once again thanks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks really nice. I now have faith in my pair of 12 inch fans. I don't know why I didn't think of two speed fans. That's a great idea. Have you been using it enough to know if that will always move enough to keep the A/C cool it low speeds? I was about ready to put another fan on my A/C condenser. I have a pair of 12s on the radiator but haven't addressed moving air over the condenser at low speed. My fans almost never run at low speed. I installed a high volume water pump and a higher amp alternator because I also bought Jet Performance power pulleys. I haven't installed the power pulleys yet.
Hopefully this weekend I can peel the radiator out again. I bought the Off-road Design idler arm bracket to upgrade to the 1 ton parts and a ZQ8 box with new hoses and cooler. Now to figure out what to do about the steering shaft. Enough of my yapping. Thanks for sharing and I like the final product. Clean and neat install. Does one fan run at lower temp then the second kits on at high temp? Once again thanks.
Here's a link to my relay setup.
Quick and dirty fan and relay wiring How 2

Both fans run at low speed with the relay set up I'm using. Then it will kick up to high speed when it reaches 190. And both fans kick up to high speed when the AC is on. You can take a look at the wiring diagram in the link above and you can see how I did it. I am in California so the two temperatures I picked from low & high speeds work good for me but may not work good for you you may have to play around with a couple different thermostat switches to figure out what works for you.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
bk2life
Turned me on to this controller, granted it cost more than many but this controller is awesome

1 - 6 of 6 Posts