S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that my truck is not supposed to be a "flexfuel" vehicle. I have been doing a lot of reading and research about using ethanol/alcohol as a fuel alternative. I am considering making my own alcohol still so that I can make alcohol to use as fuel. To start, I wanted to see what percentage ethanol I could use in my non flexfuel vehicle so I used E85/87 octane combos. Basically any engine can run 50/50, but some can go higher. Well, the 2.2 can go higher. At 35% ethanol my truck did 25MPG driving half city and half highway. At 50% ethanol my truck did 23MPG doing 3/4 city driving. My truck now has straight E85 in it right now. Yes, I did check to be sure my truck is not a "flexfuel" truck. I have no check engine lights or any signs of sluggishness. I will report about this tank's mpg's when I am empty. Maybe this will help some people out. If you are interested in alcohol as a fuel google "alcohol can be a gas". Its a great book. Also, in my research, I have discovered that any vehicle built after the change to E10 fuel can run safely on alcohol without damaging the fuel system components provided that its not straight alcohol.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Let me start by saying that my truck is not supposed to be a "flexfuel" vehicle. I have been doing a lot of reading and research about using ethanol/alcohol as a fuel alternative. I am considering making my own alcohol still so that I can make alcohol to use as fuel. To start, I wanted to see what percentage ethanol I could use in my non flexfuel vehicle so I used E85/87 octane combos. Basically any engine can run 50/50, but some can go higher. Well, the 2.2 can go higher. At 35% ethanol my truck did 25MPG driving half city and half highway. At 50% ethanol my truck did 23MPG doing 3/4 city driving. My truck now has straight E85 in it right now. Yes, I did check to be sure my truck is not a "flexfuel" truck. I have no check engine lights or any signs of sluggishness. I will report about this tank's mpg's when I am empty. Maybe this will help some people out. If you are interested in alcohol as a fuel google "alcohol can be a gas". Its a great book. Also, in my research, I have discovered that any vehicle built after the change to E10 fuel can run safely on alcohol without damaging the fuel system components provided that its not straight alcohol.
I'd be careful running straight E85 you might mess something up. There was a national survey done that said non flex fuel GM's could only run 55% E85 and 45% 87 before it threw a code.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be careful running straight E85 you might mess something up. There was a national survey done that said non flex fuel GM's could only run 55% E85 and 45% 87 before it threw a code.
I appreciate the concern, but I have straight E85 in my truck right now with no codes. Not all GM's are the same...Its a pretty general statement for a survey to state that all GM's can run 55% E85. Non flexfuel "GM" cars include a lot of different engine and computer combos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The items that I would be concerned with would be the seals and o-rings in the fuel system. They are different in the flex-fuel vehicles. Standard fuel system seals and O-rings will dry out and become brittle over time with high amounts of alcohol in the fuel system. I encountered this while working on a customers 99 Cadillac. He was a farmer and wanted to run E85 to support the farmers. His car was not designed for E85 and it ruined the o-rings on the injectors.

Just thought you should know.

Thomas Van Horn

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
just keep running it thru there you will set the cel sooner or later. One reason is that you have smaller inj than a flex-fuel veh, so your inj will max out and still cause a lean condition. i have found out that gm ecm are real slow about setting faults

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just keep running it thru there you will set the cel sooner or later. One reason is that you have smaller inj than a flex-fuel veh, so your inj will max out and still cause a lean condition. i have found out that gm ecm are real slow about setting faults
You sir are right. It took a day and a half, but my cel came on. I had to put a 50/50 mix in for it to shut off. Well, I was wrong! So much for that experiment.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,045 Posts
All I know is my 2 DDs (03 Tahoe) and (95 Lesabre)

Tahoe
on 93 octane (HTPPIII) my tahoe will get 22mpg interstate
E85 and stock tune it will only manage 15mpg interstate

Lesabre
on regular 87 I AVERAGE 20mpg combined
with ANY ethanol at all even E10 It drops drastically to around 14mpg combined!!!!

My opinion F*CK Ethanol

·
boosted 2.2L
2,324 Posts
the stock flex fuel runs pretty fat on tuning
currently i have 300+ crank hp, 63 lb/hr injectors and averaged 16 mpg last tank combined city/highway/race.

·
joining 2.2l boosted club
1,149 Posts
im happy with the flex fuel but i run it usually only when i want to go out and have a little fun but for the most part i like it...more torque...

·
White trash minitrucker
262 Posts
My father races at a circle track and we run ethanol because it burns cooler. You gotta put huge jets in the carb cause it likes a lot of fuel, but on the hot days we run the ethanol carb and use e85 and he can still hammer on the car and not overheat while everyone else is watching their temp gauges.

·
Super Moderator
20,515 Posts
itll do more harm than you think it will happen, theres reason why its built separately, wouldnt want to put alot in there, fuel system is bit different from non flex fuel to flex fuel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts